Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Is Working On A New Game Engine

Phoronix: Valve Is Working On A New Game Engine

Valve is working on a new game engine following in the success of their widely-popular Source Engine that is now running nicely on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Valve Is Working On A New Game Engine

Valve is working on a new game engine following in the success of their widely-popular Source Engine that is now running nicely on Linux...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIyNzE
    at work so i can't watch vid, but is it a 100% completely built from scratch game engine or just an improvement of source?

Comment

He gets asked just that and he replies "yeah" to "is it a completely whole new engine?".

Also, he says they are working on Ricochet 2 (aka HL3).

Comment

Below is the 4Chan video in full.
        nice citation source...

Comment

All I can say is that it's about goddamn time. The Quake-derived Source engine needed to be put to ground years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
            All I can say is that it's about goddamn time. The Quake-derived Source engine needed to be put to ground years ago.
            I thought only the Gold Source engine was a modified Quake one, and the newer Source Engine built from scratch?

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
              I thought only the Gold Source engine was a modified Quake one, and the newer Source Engine built from scratch?
              So, you were wrong

Comment

good news. I like source but it is starting to show its age and has a lot of limitations compared to newer engines.

Comment

Is it still too early for a next-gen cross-platform engine to be OpenGL 4.x based in 2013 in terms of good driver support and broad hardware ownership? Valve games tend to have as low hardware requirements as possible to support as many users as possible. I guess OpenGL 3.x would be a safer bet. Not that we know the time frame they are planning for their new engine.

Comment

Originally posted by kwahoo View Post
                    So, you were wrong
                    That's really interesting. Can you provide me with some stuff for further reading?

Comment

Working...
                    X