Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROSA Server, A New Russian Red Hat Enterprise Clone

Phoronix: ROSA Server, A New Russian Red Hat Enterprise Clone

ROSA, a Moscow-based software development company focusing upon open-source software projects, has today announced RELS. The ROSA Enterprise Linux Server is yet another clone of Red Hat Enterprise Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Contribute back

I hope they are not just leeching of Red Hat.

I hope they contribute back to the Linux community.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I hope they are not just leeching of Red Hat.

I hope they contribute back to the Linux community.
      They should, as they are smart people...they should have it as hardened as the Kremlin

Comment

I welcome our future overlords.

Comment

I welcome the three US-propaganda brainwashed commentators above!

ROSA (eng. for "dew") is a company that won the government subsidy to build "national OS", which includes educational and public terminals.
          It is similar to Pardus in Turkey and LiMux in Germany.
          Of course they contribute back.

Or you claim Calculate is stealing from Gentoo?

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
            ...ROSA (eng. for "dew") is a company that won the government subsidy to build "national OS"...
            Being Russian and been living in Russian Federation (and USSR prior its fell) for last ~30 years I could state that a company winning a government subsidy is a pretty good sign that this initiative shouldn't be treated seriously except for inventing a creative ways to steal^W^W extract money from country budget and find them a new sweet home somewhere in EU banks. I highly doubt that there would ever be a lot of contributions back to upstream from this startup and most probably it just would stick with being a rebranded RHEL for a while until a moment government contract would expire. Afterwards it would simply vanish.

Comment

You are way too pessimistic, government contracts are used for moving money from the public budget into private pockets everywhere in the world. And while part of what they are doing might be this, they seem to actually want to create a serious distribution, otherwise that would have went for Gnome on both server and desktop as Gnome is the only DE truly supported in RHEL. I'm actually looking forward to another desktop enterprise distro, especially a KDE based one.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                ROSA (eng. for "dew") is a company that won the government subsidy to build "national OS"
                I doesn't hear about that. I also check Sirius TP "NPP" regulations but can't find any ROSA references. So - prooflink, please.

Comment

ROSA's desktop distro is Mandriva-based, and from what I understand, ROSA actively contributed upstream before Mandriva began to unravel on the corporate side, at which point ROSA's desktop distro formally forked.

Comment

Working...
                  X