Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 49

Thread: Features Coming In For The GNOME 3.8 Desktop

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    I don't care about new features, they dropped GNOME Fallback which was the only thing holding me on to GNOME and maybe even Linux.

    GNOME Shell is a piece of shit desktop environment and it is not useable.
    It works against me, not with me. It wants me to adapt and work in their dumb invented lousy paradigm to give me their idea of their branded GNOME UX experience.
    I've been using Gnome Shell ever since 3.2. I'm not advocating that Gnome Shell is the best DE out there, but I find that it fits what I mostly do on my Linux box. I'm curious as to what it is people hate about it. Can you elaborate more on why it's working against you?

    I'm on 3.4 right now and am using the Impatience, Remove Accessibility, Desktop Scroller, and Alternative Status Menu Extensions. Those extensions fix pretty much all my usability issues.

    No matter what DE I'm on, there's always several program's I absolutely need (file browser, web browser, terminal, and mail client) and I always need a quick-launcher for them. Gnome 3's side bar does a good job of staying out of the way. If I need it, all I have to do is flick the mouse to the top-left or tap Super_R.

    I always have three workspaces. The first for the terminal (work) and the browser, the second for email, IRC, and my SIP phone, and the third for music.

    Online accounts is a nice convenience for setting up mail and chat.

    That's my typical DE. Does it differ all that much from yours? Is there something else that's holding you back from Gnome Shell?

    If it's the fact that you absolutely need compositing to run GS when it's not available that's keeping you from using it, I totally understand that. However, theres XFCE, LXDE, and E17 that gives you a non-composited DE with the same kind of user interface that Gnome Fallback has. Plus, in terms of resource usage, they do a better job than Gnome 2. I don't see why that's a reason to bash Gnome Shell for sticking with the status quo when there's already several out there that do just that (and arguably better).

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    To add another start menu choose "Add widgets" in the context menu in plasma desktop and choose the application launcher filter to only see your application launchers you have installed.
    Hes not bright enough to do that or he would've done it.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vax456 View Post
    No matter what DE I'm on, there's always several program's I absolutely need (file browser, web browser, terminal, and mail client) and I always need a quick-launcher for them. Gnome 3's side bar does a good job of staying out of the way. If I need it, all I have to do is flick the mouse to the top-left or tap Super_R.
    Why a quick launcher for the browser and mail client? For me, those are things I typically only launch once following a reboot - the quick launcher is only fractionally quicker than the 'slow' one. And for stuff like terminals, I open them enough that pretty much *any* interface is too slow, so I have it bound to a hotkey...

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Over there somewhere
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
    Hes not bright enough to do that or he would've done it.
    Dude, you're being a dick. Shut it.

    I haven't given KDE a spin since 4.0 because it was a disaster. It was every bit as usable and customizable as GNOME 3 when it was first forced on people - which is to say not at all. Maybe that's changed since the bad old days, but attitudes like yours don't really endear people to give it a whirl.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    south east
    Posts
    342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
    Hes not bright enough to do that or he would've done it.
    Well not everybody in the world liked Brown Sedans back in the 1970's.

    Gnome and Unity -- it's basically the same thing -- felt the need to exclude the ability to easily increase the font size.

    In a lot of ways, the community liked Gnome 2 and even more so did the persons with disabilities. Now you have to wonder how exactly they're going to use these interfaces.

    KDE 4.9 retains much of it's features with font DPI and changing fonts in general.

    Gnome Tweak doesn't exactly ship by default in most distributions.

    tators.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delgarde View Post
    Why a quick launcher for the browser and mail client? For me, those are things I typically only launch once following a reboot - the quick launcher is only fractionally quicker than the 'slow' one. And for stuff like terminals, I open them enough that pretty much *any* interface is too slow, so I have it bound to a hotkey...
    I typically only launch them once as well and abuse the hell out of tabs.

    However, sometimes I work on different things. Most of the time I just need a terminal for work, but sometimes I work in Gimp, Blender, and other programs for a short amount of time, and those are in the side-bar as well no matter what DE I'm in. I very rarely have to navigate the application menu.

    As for the side-bar being only marginally faster, it's not really about saving a couple seconds, but more about launching something with a minimal amount of mouse motions. It's not a big deal within itself, but those minor conveniences add up over time.

    You could make an argument for binding frequently-used applications to a hotkey, and that is a valid point. However, if you're like me, you just get sick of using the keyboard all the time and just want to use your mouse while you rest you head in your free hand while you drool while watching a Youtube video of a cat jumping into a box and falling over.
    Last edited by Vax456; 11-12-2012 at 09:05 PM.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vax456 View Post
    You could make an argument for binding frequently-used applications to a hotkey, and that is a valid point. However, if you're like me, you just get sick of using the keyboard all the time and just want to use your mouse while you rest you head in your free hand while you drool while watching a Youtube video of a cat jumping into a box and falling over.
    Ah, see I'm the opposite... I almost never use the mouse for launching programs (or moving between apps, etc), so I don't pay much attention to how well that works. Certainly though, Shell is very good for someone who uses the keyboard for everything...

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,128

    Angry

    Quote Originally Posted by Larian View Post
    Dude, you're being a dick. Shut it.

    I haven't given KDE a spin since 4.0 because it was a disaster. It was every bit as usable and customizable as GNOME 3 when it was first forced on people
    You are even more stupid than the other guy. KDE 4.0 was forced on no one. KDE 3.5.9 and 3.5.10 were released after 4.0 and 4.1 because both 4.0 & 4.1 were considered tech previews and no distributor (except Fedora but that's cutting edge anyway) shipped KDE 4.0 by default. Kubuntu had a special KDE 4.0 remix next to the main KDE3-based one. openSUSE presented its users this desktop selection screen: http://old-en.opensuse.org/File:OS11.0-inst-6.jpg It a) gives the users the choice between both and b) clearly states that KDE 4.0 is not mature!
    Mandriva, Debian, etc. didn't switch to KDE4 before 4.2.

    So you shut the fuck up with your lies, idiot!

    If anybody does not like the workflows of Gnome Shell, Plasma Desktop, etc., fine. Simply don't use them, don't spread lies, and piss off to Windows.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BO$$ View Post
    Couldn't they just add the taskbar and make it optional? If you want to disable it good for you! Or don't add the taskbar by default but make it super easy to activate it like Right Click -> Show taskbar. Make everybody happy.
    Everyone except the people actually doing the work, at least. Someone actually has to write and maintain the code to do that, you know.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Over there somewhere
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Awesomeness View Post
    You are even more stupid than the other guy. KDE 4.0 was forced on no one. KDE 3.5.9 and 3.5.10 were released after 4.0 and 4.1 because both 4.0 & 4.1 were considered tech previews and no distributor (except Fedora but that's cutting edge anyway) shipped KDE 4.0 by default. Kubuntu had a special KDE 4.0 remix next to the main KDE3-based one. openSUSE presented its users this desktop selection screen: http://old-en.opensuse.org/File:OS11.0-inst-6.jpg It a) gives the users the choice between both and b) clearly states that KDE 4.0 is not mature!
    Mandriva, Debian, etc. didn't switch to KDE4 before 4.2.

    So you shut the fuck up with your lies, idiot!

    If anybody does not like the workflows of Gnome Shell, Plasma Desktop, etc., fine. Simply don't use them, don't spread lies, and piss off to Windows.
    Do you even, ... you know ... think about the stuff you say before you say it? Or do you read what people say before you comment?

    As for KDE, my first experience was with a Kubuntu distro during my first year of college. The layout was very Windows-like, but that meant it was easy for new users to pick up because it resembled something they were familiar with. My OS at the time was Ubuntu 6.04 (I think), and I was already grooving to the GNOME way of doing things, but the KDE machine was still usable.

    Then we upgraded the machine to the 4.X release. Big mistake. It was an unwieldy mess and it turned me off of KDE, because if this was were it was going, neither I nor anyone else in the lab wanted any part of it. I understand it's gotten better (and I have it installed on this very machine), but I haven't spent time with it to check.

    Regarding your Tourette syndrome, you are one sad little fellow. You substitute vitriol for argument and insults in place of points. You've done nothing in this entire thread but go out of your way to make anyone with whom you disagree feel uncomfortable. What a fascinating life you must lead. Tell us of your accomplishments and achievements in life that we might be gratified and uplifted; inspired to greatness by your shining example! Or we can all take a good, hard look at reality and realize that you sound like a 12 year old who's off his meds. You're being a dick, and you impress no one - least of all with your intellect and mastery of prose.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •