Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Features Coming In For The GNOME 3.8 Desktop

Default Features Coming In For The GNOME 3.8 Desktop

Phoronix: Features Coming In For The GNOME 3.8 Desktop

While many GNOME Linux users are upset over GNOME 3.8 dropping its fallback mode, this next release of the GNOME desktop environment is set to offer a number of new features...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIyNjY

Latest rumble; supported or featured gnome extensions as a replacement for fallback. It is not sure though because it widens the scope to more than thw original gnome3 vision.

To me it sounds like a very nice trade off.

Losing all the fallback cruft which held back features AND get the exension system more official and supported.
    Last edited by funkSTAR; 11-12-2012 at 07:10 AM.

I had a look at the clock tool, it has alarm!

A couple of months ago, I lost my mobile and had to look for a solution to wake up in the morning. So I looked for applications with an alarm clock and found: http://alarm-clock.pseudoberries.com/ This worked fine with the barking voice

Fun Fact:
    In 3.2 we had LogOut and ShutDown in the menu
    In 3.4 they dropped shutdown from the menu -> ShutDown extension
    In 3.6 they added ShutDown to the menu but dropped LogOut (if single user machine) -> LogOut extension
    In 3.8 they add/drop ?!? to/from the menu

Default Don't care about new features

I don't care about new features, they dropped GNOME Fallback which was the only thing holding me on to GNOME and maybe even Linux.

GNOME Shell is a piece of shit desktop environment and it is not useable.
    It works against me, not with me. It wants me to adapt and work in their dumb invented lousy paradigm to give me their idea of their branded GNOME UX experience.

GNOME Panel (GNOME Fallback) was useful, it was very simple and easy-to-use and allowed me to efficiently use the computer.

Now, I can't do that anymore.

With GNOME Shell and Unity both suck and being forced upon me where I cant resort back to GNOME Panel, I don't know what to do.
    I tried KDE but it is cluttered with options and has a bad start menu with too many clicks.
    I am not convinced MATE will have a real future either.
    I will try evaluating Cinnamon and Linux Mint Shell Extensions for Gnome 3 (MGSE), but if those are not good either, then I don't know what to do, maybe go back to Windows?

Quote Originally Posted by uid313 View Post
    I will try evaluating Cinnamon and Linux Mint Shell Extensions for Gnome 3 (MGSE), but if those are not good either, then I don't know what to do, maybe go back to Windows?
    It is quite easy. You do nothing. First of all fallback mode was not gonna evolve if it was kept and you dont care about new features. Alas you just keep your dist as it.

Then by March and gnome 3.8 release you can come back and complain. Despite the fact that you can use extensions to mimic the fallback mode. But you can always go into total denial and bitch like a ..bitch.
    Last edited by funkSTAR; 11-12-2012 at 10:02 AM.

With GNOME Shell and Unity both suck and being forced upon me where I cant resort back to GNOME Panel, I don't know what to do.
    I tried KDE but it is cluttered with options and has a bad start menu with too many clicks.
    I am not convinced MATE will have a real future either.
    I've been using Mint + Cinnamon at home for a while now, and it's been treating me fairly well. That being said, I use GS at work on a multi-monitor system with a couple of extensions, so my needs might be a bit different than yours.

For reference, the extensions that I've got installed are:
    Alternative Status Menu
    Cpu Temperature Indicator
    Remove Accessibility
    Media Player Indicator
    Cpu Freq

And in gconf-editor:
    /desktop/gnome/shell/windows/workspaces_only_on_primary = false

You only need to set it up once, and you can pretty much set it up to do whatever you want. People often give up on KDE because they didn't spend enough time setting it up to their liking. I am not a fan of the standard KDE desktop (or any standard desktop, for that matter), but it is really customisable.

As for the menu, there are several available. I like Lancelot, but there is a classic (KDE3-style) menu plasmoid available too.

I tried KDE but it is cluttered with options
    KDE software is for intelligent people. If you are confused with options, don't use it.

and has a bad start menu with too many clicks.
    Which one? Too stupid to tell which one you were using? Kickoff, Classic, Lancelot, Homerun, Rosa Launcher?

maybe go back to Windows?
    Do that! Bye!

Quote Originally Posted by funkSTAR View Post
    It is quite easy. You do nothing. First of all fallback mode was not gonna evolve if it was kept and you dont care about new features. Alas you just keep your dist as it.

Then by March and gnome 3.8 release you can come back and complain. Despite the fact that you can use extensions to mimic the fallback mode. But you can always go into total denial and bitch like a ..bitch.
    What extension?
    Which extensions?
    Where?

Quote Originally Posted by Veerappan View Post
    I've been using Mint + Cinnamon at home for a while now, and it's been treating me fairly well. That being said, I use GS at work on a multi-monitor system with a couple of extensions, so my needs might be a bit different than yours.

For reference, the extensions that I've got installed are:
    Alternative Status Menu
    Cpu Temperature Indicator
    Remove Accessibility
    Media Player Indicator
    Cpu Freq

And in gconf-editor:
    /desktop/gnome/shell/windows/workspaces_only_on_primary = false
    Those sounds like kinda useless extensions.
    I need a start menu that is fast, easy, without much clicks.
    I need a window panel that list all open windows and let me switch between them.

Quote Originally Posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    You only need to set it up once, and you can pretty much set it up to do whatever you want. People often give up on KDE because they didn't spend enough time setting it up to their liking. I am not a fan of the standard KDE desktop (or any standard desktop, for that matter), but it is really customisable.

As for the menu, there are several available. I like Lancelot, but there is a classic (KDE3-style) menu plasmoid available too.
    KDE has too many buttons in the toolbar. Too many entries in the menu. I right-click and get presented with a context menu and it has too many options.
    I believe it should make some assumptions and have more saner defaults.

I haven't heard about Lancelot.

http://mikefourie.files.wordpress.co...0-05_thumb.png
    http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/g...2/toolbars.jpg