Thread: NVIDIA Tegra DRM Driver Might Appear In Linux 3.8

Default NVIDIA Tegra DRM Driver Might Appear In Linux 3.8

Phoronix: NVIDIA Tegra DRM Driver Might Appear In Linux 3.8

Back in August a basic DRM driver for the NVIDIA Tegra 2 graphics core appeared but wasn't merged into the Linux kernel. The Tegra DRM driver still hasn't been merged to this day, but it might hit staging with the Linux 3.8 kernel...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIyNTc

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Meanwhile, we are still waiting for NVIDIA to release some Tegra programming documentation as they promised to do back during XDC2012.
    AFAIK, it already happened.

Are we talking about independent and full tegra driver? With OSS user space for it?

Sorry for the newbie question, but aren't these things already in the kernels of all those tegra android devices? Isn't it just a matter of polishing the code which is already available to submitt to the mainline kernel?

Quote Originally Posted by MPF View Post
    AFAIK, it already happened.
    Well, you still have to apply for some developer thing, including stating your interests etc., and AFAIK they have to approve you - unlike the Intel and AMD docs. Better than nothing, I guess, but still kinda annoying - I guess they still aren't used to the whole idea of opening things up, but it's a start.

Quote Originally Posted by cwabbott View Post
    Well, you still have to apply for some developer thing, including stating your interests etc., and AFAIK they have to approve you - unlike the Intel and AMD docs. Better than nothing, I guess, but still kinda annoying - I guess they still aren't used to the whole idea of opening things up, but it's a start.
    The approval thing is a bit annoying, but it's not all that bad. At least you (as an individual) can get approved if you go through the registration process. Also you don't need to lie about your intentions, NVidia will approve you if tell them that you are working on some open-source thing. Still a bit annoying to go through, but much better than other companies where you don't get docs at all or only if you are an employee of some sort of partner company.

And as Mupuf said the push of the 2D documentation has already happened. It's available since about two weeks now.