Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Years Later, Ubuntu Isn't Running On Wayland

Phoronix: Two Years Later, Ubuntu Isn't Running On Wayland

I realized this morning that this week marks two years since Mark Shuttleworth shared his plans for Ubuntu's Unity to run on Wayland. Even after two years, Ubuntu's engagement with Wayland hasn't advanced much and it's consummation of Wayland is still likely at a minimum another year out...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And what was written two years ago?

"But the worst thing is, Shuttleworth farts something into his blog and sites like Phoronix report it like it will be there just right around the corner."

"once more Shuttleworth played with the media to generate hype and once more phoronix failed for it."

Comment

Yet another wayland-is-not-ready. Get used to it! I wonder how much time wayland developers have to waste until they understand that the idea of the reference Wayland compositor Weston simply does not work. Trying to make full-featured DE nowadays is impossible for such small group of people. They could try to modify at least a single DE like Unity, KDE, Gnome or XFCE, but who wants to face real-life problems?

Comment

Originally posted by Lockal View Post
        Yet another wayland-is-not-ready. Get used to it! I wonder how much time wayland developers have to waste until they understand that the idea of the reference Wayland compositor Weston simply does not work. Trying to make full-featured DE nowadays is impossible for such small group of people. They could try to modify at least a single DE like Unity, KDE, Gnome or XFCE, but who wants to face real-life problems?
        Wayland is ready. Period. Here is whats missing for a proper DE.

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...er/005969.html and i think i saw a patch for min/max in the ML.

Sadly the apps are not ready yet (Firefox etc).

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
          Wayland is ready. Period. Here is whats missing for a proper DE.

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...er/005969.html and i think i saw a patch for min/max in the ML.

Sadly the apps are not ready yet (Firefox etc).
          It is impossible to say whether wayland is ready or not until at least 1 full-featured DE appears. As for me, I would never believe that wayland has a reliable replacement for every technology used in XServer, like XDamage (forced redrawing on specific events), XEvIE (accessibility stuff), XComposite (ok, maybe this could be done in compositor), XCB (input+i18n), xinerama (multiple screens), xrandr (dynamic change of display properties) and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockal View Post
            Isn't Weston something they just made to show and test that it works? What's the problem with that? I recall they said it's not meant to be used as a DE or anything.. It's a reference compositor, something that can be referenced to. Kind of like twm. And it's up to the DEs to make themselves work with Wayland anyways.(KDE is working towards that direction. They're just not in a hurry. And you've seen what happens when people are in a hurry. )
            Making a minimal environment is of course easier than modifying an existing(and potentially huge) project that they have no control over it's changes. They can change Weston at their own pace. Wouldn't those actually benefit a small group of people?

Comment

22,000 packages

Are the entirty of the Debian respositories Wayland Yutei ready? He hasn't exactly sent out an expedition for alien life yet?

Comment

Ubuntu and every other popular distro will be running on Wayland just in time for Windows 8's demise... which is looming on the horizon.

Comment

Working...
                X