Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not All Hope Is Lost For AMD CPU Support On Linux

Phoronix: Not All Hope Is Lost For AMD CPU Support On Linux

While many Linux users are rightfully quite mad over AMD laying off many Linux kernel developers and shutting down their Operating System Research Center, not all hope is lost for future AMD CPU products being well supported under Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So the AMD CPU for 2014 year will be last which are worth to take into Linux.
    Bye, bye AMD and welcome low end Intel

Comment

A few day ago I've bought a new Mainboard (Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0) and a AMD FX 8350. I'm pretty pleased with that.

I have been thinking a long time if I should switch to Intel. Finally my choice was based on

a) objective benchmarks
      b) my needs
      c) personal preference (I persoanlly dont like Intel - historical reasons)

Comment

Originally posted by olbi View Post
        So the Intel CPU for 2014 year will be last which are worth to take into Linux.
        Bye, bye Intel and welcome AMD CPU
        FTFU ......

Comment

hope that some fglrx developers that left AMD will be able to help the open-source Radeon developers

Comment

Originally posted by bmoez View Post
            hope that some fglrx developers that left AMD will be able to help the open-source Radeon developers
            AFAIK no fglrx developers left AMD.
            Nevertheless if this is the case, I'm not sure they have the rights to work on the open-source side (NDA, legals, etc.).

Comment

Wierd!

Really stupid and nonsensical decision to fired most valuable personelle.
              PC and Server market is far from dead.

Comment

This can already be seen with the recent GCC patches for AMD's future Steamroller CPUs (third-generation Bulldozer / bdver3).
                You mean those patches you've recently tested and yielded no performance changes from bdver2?

Comment

Originally posted by mcgreg View Post
                  A few day ago I've bought a new Mainboard (Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0) and a AMD FX 8350. I'm pretty pleased with that.

I have been thinking a long time if I should switch to Intel. Finally my choice was based on

a) objective benchmarks
                  b) my needs
                  c) personal preference (I persoanlly dont like Intel - historical reasons)
                  I will go with some AMD APU beginning next year (once there are more A10 notebooks available). I like this test:
                  AMD Llano APU vs Intel Sandy Bridge laptop
                  Not which processor can do one benchmark at a time the best, but how about running 5 benchmarks, partly GPU and partly CPU intensive. This is when the i7 becomes totally unresponsive and freezes like an Intel Atom

Comment

Hope was never lost to begin with, it was the usual BS with people drawing hasty conclusions based on incomplete information.

Comment

Working...
                    X