Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not All Hope Is Lost For AMD CPU Support On Linux

Hybrid View

Default Not All Hope Is Lost For AMD CPU Support On Linux

Phoronix: Not All Hope Is Lost For AMD CPU Support On Linux

While many Linux users are rightfully quite mad over AMD laying off many Linux kernel developers and shutting down their Operating System Research Center, not all hope is lost for future AMD CPU products being well supported under Linux...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIyNDk

So the AMD CPU for 2014 year will be last which are worth to take into Linux.
    Bye, bye AMD and welcome low end Intel

A few day ago I've bought a new Mainboard (Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0) and a AMD FX 8350. I'm pretty pleased with that.

I have been thinking a long time if I should switch to Intel. Finally my choice was based on

a) objective benchmarks
    b) my needs
    c) personal preference (I persoanlly dont like Intel - historical reasons)

Quote Originally Posted by mcgreg View Post
    A few day ago I've bought a new Mainboard (Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0) and a AMD FX 8350. I'm pretty pleased with that.

I have been thinking a long time if I should switch to Intel. Finally my choice was based on

a) objective benchmarks
    b) my needs
    c) personal preference (I persoanlly dont like Intel - historical reasons)
    I will go with some AMD APU beginning next year (once there are more A10 notebooks available). I like this test:
    AMD Llano APU vs Intel Sandy Bridge laptop
    Not which processor can do one benchmark at a time the best, but how about running 5 benchmarks, partly GPU and partly CPU intensive. This is when the i7 becomes totally unresponsive and freezes like an Intel Atom

Hope was never lost to begin with, it was the usual BS with people drawing hasty conclusions based on incomplete information.

Quote Originally Posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
    Hope was never lost to begin with, it was the usual BS with people drawing hasty conclusions based on incomplete information.
    I wouldn't say they are basing their conclusions on incomplete information, they are basing their conclusions on the steady cutbacks, failure of execution, hemorrhaging of capital, and yearly reorganization of AMD that just seems to be getting worse and worse.

I have a AMD A4 ASUS Laptop with a discrete AMD 68xx Radeon graphic as well. To tell the truth I am not impressed, the issues being driver support in Linux and the GPU acceleration for HD movies, I don't do any gaming. OTOH, the i5 ASUS laptop without any discrete graphic card runs way faster through apps, runs cooler, consumes less battery and best of all, VLC runs almost all formats with ease and way less CPU usage. Flash chokes the AMD laptop compared to the icore5. Where AMD has delivered for me apart from my Bulldozer workstation is that recently I replaced a quad core QC6600 machine with a AMD 560BE Phenom II CPU and ASUS M78 series motherboard. This system generally is for my wife and my aunt who is over eighty so nothing fancy was needed. However much to my pleasant surprise I found out I can unlock the locked two cores on the CPU making it a quad core for the price of two. When I initially tried it with skepticism, it worked and worked well with no issues of stability or heat, I did some series of video conversion, some compiling and neither heat not stability was affected. Now this is where I still feel AMD rules, the bang for budget. Also the APU series can improve once AMD gets their Catalyst right for Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by olbi View Post
    So the Intel CPU for 2014 year will be last which are worth to take into Linux.
    Bye, bye Intel and welcome AMD CPU
    FTFU ......

hope that some fglrx developers that left AMD will be able to help the open-source Radeon developers

Quote Originally Posted by bmoez View Post
    hope that some fglrx developers that left AMD will be able to help the open-source Radeon developers
    AFAIK no fglrx developers left AMD.
    Nevertheless if this is the case, I'm not sure they have the rights to work on the open-source side (NDA, legals, etc.).