Fedora 18 Is Delayed Into 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mo0n_sniper View Post
    I've tried a nightly release of Fedora 18 and I got the impression that the anaconda installer is far from being done.

I couldn't install packages from the live usb so I had to enter a repository from the internet. So no internet no install.
    Also the partitioning is scarry, I wasn't sure it would install on the partitions that I chosen. Anyway after pressing install it gave an error and exited.

Also the general feeling of the new installer is, in my opinion, in no way better than the older one.
    picking up a nightly isn't a great choice as we haven't pushed an anaconda build stable for a while. i think the nightlies up till now would have been on 18.19 at the latest; we're all the way up to 18.27 now, and Beta TC7 had 18.24. the TCs are a lot better than the nightlies as things stand.

we just pushed 18.26 stable today so nightlies will get a newer anaconda now, but TC8 will come fairly soon, with 18.27. in general, if you really want to be poking at the current state of things, use the TCs/RCs, not the nightlies.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
      [...]in general, if you really want to be poking at the current state of things, use the TCs/RCs, not the nightlies.
      The Beta TC7 is not mentioned on the testday wikisite btw.

link to the Beta TC7 images:
      https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/18-Beta-TC7/

Comment

I have used tc7 and firefox still makes the entire system crash while watching youtube html5 videos.

adjusting the lcd panel backlight doesn't work on intel gfx...

this is just to raw to be even able to enter beta, it's better this way

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
          I have used tc7 and firefox still makes the entire system crash while watching youtube html5 videos.

adjusting the lcd panel backlight doesn't work on intel gfx...

this is just to raw to be even able to enter beta, it's better this way
          Sorry if this disappoints, but we would not hold a Beta for either of those. Far too trivial. BTW, I can't reproduce the HTML5 thing. I have an HTML5 video running in another tab and it's fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
            The Beta TC7 is not mentioned on the testday wikisite btw.

link to the Beta TC7 images:
            https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/stage/18-Beta-TC7/
            The Test Day image is actually about the newest shiniest thing we have. I hand-built it last night with cherrypicks from updates-testing, including various GNOME-related packages plus anaconda 18.27 and the newest kernel. It's substantially newer than TC7.

Comment

Thank you both for the info. I'll try again with the newest build. Hopefully the installer will work.

Comment

I'm ok with it. The Beefy Miracle is a fantastic, stable, and fast(performance) release.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
                  Sorry if this disappoints, but we would not hold a Beta for either of those. Far too trivial. BTW, I can't reproduce the HTML5 thing. I have an HTML5 video running in another tab and it's fine.
                  it happens with extremely long youtube videos (+60mins)

I should mention that I'm running a live session with only 3 gigs of ram so memory could be a factor.

I tried tc9 and albeit it feels much faster and snappier, firefox still crashes the whole system...

the brightness adjustment/lcd backlight value doesn't work at all on this intel card... but I'm starting to think it is a intel driver problem as in ubuntu I have to be really careful to adjust it as to not make system crawl to an halt and in knoppix it only works the very first few times and then stops working.

Comment

it happens with extremely long youtube videos (+60mins)

I should mention that I'm running a live session with only 3 gigs of ram so memory could be a factor.

I tried tc9 and albeit it feels much faster and snappier, firefox still crashes the whole system...
                    It sounds likely to be the memory thing then, yeah. Whole system crashing/stopping working is the typical symptom of memory exhaustion when running live. I don't know how HTML5 video works precisely, but if it buffers the video to local storage while it's playing so you can jump around in it, that would certainly cause RAM exhaustion, because the 'storage' available when running live is ultimately RAM-backed: if you write too much data the system will crash.

the brightness adjustment/lcd backlight value doesn't work at all on this intel card... but I'm starting to think it is a intel driver problem as in ubuntu I have to be really careful to adjust it as to not make system crawl to an halt and in knoppix it only works the very first few times and then stops working.
                    yeah, that does sound likely. Almost all the video-related code we carry is ultimately upstream stuff - it might be newer than what's in stable, we backport bits sometime, but we don't really carry anything significant that's downstream-only.

Comment

Well you have to admit that the way fedora creates the overlay is very stupid way compared to others. There you have got much less space available than somewhere else - if you would switch to aufs then it would be much better.

Comment

Working...
                      X