Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 18 Is Delayed Into 2013

Phoronix: Fedora 18 Is Delayed Into 2013

There was another go/no-go meeting today for the Fedora 18 Beta and it was decided to delay the release for a seventh time. The Fedora 18 Beta was decided to be delayed by two weeks (compared to the normal one week delays) and the final F18 release will be set-back into 2013...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Small correction: that wasn't a go/no-go meeting. It was the FESCo meeting. The go/no-go would have been tomorrow, but this decision pre-empts it.

One of the ideas of discussing the schedule in the FESCo meeting was that it looked silly to keep slipping a week at a time in go/no-go meetings, so it would be more sensible to plan out a schedule more comprehensively via FESCo.

Comment

I'm ok with it. The Beefy Miracle is a fantastic, stable, and fast(performance) release.

18 will come when it comes. I'd rather delays than bugs.

Comment

Happy with Fedora 16 until 18 comes out. Give use tested and stable, although I do hope that it will be released with modern packages in January.

Comment

So... where does that put fedora 19? A October/November 2013 release?

Comment

Originally posted by solo2101 View Post
            So... where does that put fedora 19? A October/November 2013 release?
            It doesn't change Fedora 19's schedule at all.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtKun View Post
              It doesn't change Fedora 19's schedule at all.
              AdamW, I get the impression that the ONLY reason the new Anaconda hasnt been dropped from F18's feature list and pushed to F19 is because RHEL 7 is gonna be based off of F18. Now, if the Fedora team keeps having problems with it... what are the chances that F18 may ACTUALLY be "skipped" like it was suggested in the mailing list last time Michael did an F18 article?
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I've tried a nightly release of Fedora 18 and I got the impression that the anaconda installer is far from being done.

I couldn't install packages from the live usb so I had to enter a repository from the internet. So no internet no install.
                Also the partitioning is scarry, I wasn't sure it would install on the partitions that I chosen. Anyway after pressing install it gave an error and exited.

Also the general feeling of the new installer is, in my opinion, in no way better than the older one.

Comment

Originally posted by mo0n_sniper View Post
                  I've tried a nightly release of Fedora 18 and I got the impression that the anaconda installer is far from being done.

I couldn't install packages from the live usb so I had to enter a repository from the internet. So no internet no install.
                  Also the partitioning is scarry, I wasn't sure it would install on the partitions that I chosen. Anyway after pressing install it gave an error and exited.

Also the general feeling of the new installer is, in my opinion, in no way better than the older one.
                  There were tons of stability and usability problems when i tried it a month back.
                  Ended up yum updating.
                  F18 has been great thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                    AdamW, I get the impression that the ONLY reason the new Anaconda hasnt been dropped from F18's feature list and pushed to F19 is because RHEL 7 is gonna be based off of F18. Now, if the Fedora team keeps having problems with it... what are the chances that F18 may ACTUALLY be "skipped" like it was suggested in the mailing list last time Michael did an F18 article?
                    That's not the only reason, really. People keep suggesting it, but it's not at all that simple. The installer isn't just a monolithic blob you can swap out like that. If we just somehow rolled back to the last pre-newUI anaconda code at this point and did a build of F18, what we'd get would be massively broken. anaconda relies on lots of other components which get changed - dracut, parted, NetworkManager to name just a few. (oh, and I just thought - comps got a massive change in f18 which is inter-dependent with newui to some extent; oldui couldn't deal with f18's comps at all). oldUI has not been updated for any of the changes to those components in f18.

if we switched horses in mid-stream to oldui now, we'd lose several weeks getting the oldui codebase into sane shape for f18, and we'd have to start validation testing all over again. then newui would stop getting attention so it'd be broken when it came to f19 time and need more fixing. Lots of extra, partly wasted effort there.

I don't think skipping f18 is going to happen. anaconda's got into a hell of a lot better shape over the last week or so. upgrade is still a problem, but we're definitely getting to the end of the tunnel with anaconda now.

Comment

Working...
                    X