Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xeros View Post
    Eh, bad move...
    And I was about to buy some new AMD hardware...
    Looks like it's time to change decission to go with Intel.
    If you find out how "well" Intel supports linux on some of their products ie motherboards you ll probably change your mind again. Buggy firmwares and when you mention linux the answer is "we don't support that"

In general most -if not all- manufacturers don't give a fuck about linux and the fact that we have this level of support comes down to dedicated hackers that get their hands on the HW. There was a comment by Alan Cox on his G+ page sometime ago that many bugs on the Kernel bugzilla are motherboard/FW bugs and they cannot do anything about it. This is how much they care about linux.

Comment

Intel vs. AMD

I cleaned up a lot in the last two years and got rid of a lot of stuff (wouldn't call myself a hoarder).

1xIntel x86 CPU, 1xAMD x86 APU, 1xAMD GPU, 1xnVidia GPU (not used), 2xARM (OMAP) boards and probably some others in several electronic devices like switches, routers, coffee machines etc.

I really hope to be able to replace the big laptop with Intel CPU into something like a AMD Quad- or hexacore APU with proper graphics power, which I am really happy with on the netbook.

Comment

Originally posted by disi View Post
        I cleaned up a lot in the last two years and got rid of a lot of stuff (wouldn't call myself a hoarder).

1xIntel x86 CPU, 1xAMD x86 APU, 1xAMD GPU, 1xnVidia GPU (not used), 2xARM (OMAP) boards and probably some others in several electronic devices like switches, routers, coffee machines etc.

I really hope to be able to replace the big laptop with Intel CPU into something like a AMD Quad- or hexacore APU with proper graphics power, which I am really happy with on the netbook.
        Hard to find any laptops... funny about HP shop:
        Customize your g7z-2200 series:
        Select: Processor -> AMD Quad-Core A10-4600M Accelerated Processor (3.2GHz/2.3GHz, 4MB L2 Cache)
        Select: Graphics card -> Intel(R) HD Graphics or another dedicated: 1GB AMD Radeon(TM) HD 7670M Discrete-Class Graphics

Comment

Originally posted by Spacefish View Post
          I think AMD should concentrate on the GPU-Computing market, they deliver more raw computing power / watt, price than NVIDIA, their cards are pretty commonly used, still NVIDIA manages to get theire marketshare by providing a better platform (CUDA)...
          ARM clusters rule out any GPU when it comes to computing.

AMD lost x86 NonameOS desktop market due to NonameCorporation optimizations for Intel, now they lay off (Linux) server market - those are two markets they lost.

Linux Desktop is already much much better on Intel due to Intel working more on Linux AND producing an opensource driver that actually WORKS, which means it is USEABLE.

What is left is market of build-in devices, like crappy blueray players and set-top boxes, this is where AMD "TrustZone" DRM for ARM comes into play.

This looks like National Semiconductor days, when Cyrix went bankrupt.

I think, unfortunately, we can put a large X on AMD... :/

Comment

I absolutely do not wish to fall ino intel's hands. Their prices, their "innovations" ... there wouldn't be anything without AMD. Furthermore, intel FOSS support is not always as shiny as some people talk it. It is on average okay and fine (I won't doubt that), but then come to any ImgTec parts that are relabeled as intel and you're 100% lost.
            I know that AMD was troubled all the years financially but it's really hard to see the devs already being laid off. It really hurts me. I likely won't buy intel in the future but I hope we'll never have a intel monopoly again. I remember the late 80's and 90s too well.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
            Umm, you probably must be Japanese to find this kawaii or something? I don't see a point of dancing people in tiger custumes on the moon. Sorry for the lack of Japanes genes.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

in other news

It was rummored up on slashdot that Apple is ditching Intel in favor of ARM.

I guess you guys buying Intel may be disappointed. Something must be up at Intel for Apple to consider that.

Remember PowerPC. Maybe something big is coming down at Intel.

Comment

Well yeah... Closing the OSRC != abandoning all kernel-related work
                Where did people get that idea?

Comment

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
                  It was rummored up on slashdot that Apple is ditching Intel in favor of ARM.
                  I guess you guys buying Intel may be disappointed. Something must be up at Intel for Apple to consider that.
                  I buy Intel, but don't like Intel's 80% market share.
                  Intel CPUs would be probably cheaper if Intel had 50% or lower market share.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    There hasn't been any new AMD coreboot work for quite a while.
                    Not sure where you got that idea. Trinity support (AMD's most recent chipset) was just recently added to coreboot.

Comment

Working...
                    X