KDE 4.9.3 November Update Fixes 86 Bugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by droste View Post
    This is not a good way to measure this (buffers/caches, preloaded stuff, shared libraries, etc.). Also simply "more than a lightweight DE" doesn't count as "insane amount of ram" :-P.
    This is the KDE favorite answer : "you're too dumb to know how to compute memory usage while we are very smart, hence KDE is not bloatware". I dont have time to provide details (again) on the methodology.

Comment

You should have done it the other way around (wait 2 years then use it). KDE is way more stable than 2 years ago. It is true that there might be bugs (I can see none in the stuff I'm using), but that doesn't mean it's unusable.
      so they fixed the bad coding and bad design (codewise) they had in the previous 10 years now in the last two years? interesting. sounds more like windows patchwork: making a bad design and concept working "stable" with a lots of patches and blinding the customer with eyecandy.

Comment

So much Works For Me? going on in this thread. On both sides of the fence.

I can list a whole lot of problems with every DE I've tried. They all have serious issues. KDE included.

Comment

Originally posted by orzel View Post
          This is the KDE favorite answer : "you're too dumb to know how to compute memory usage while we are very smart, hence KDE is not bloatware". I dont have time to provide details (again) on the methodology.
          I didn't call you dumb and I don't know a really good way to measure this, so I'm not smarter than you in this respect.

Originally posted by a user View Post
          so they fixed the bad coding and bad design (codewise) they had in the previous 10 years now in the last two years?
          I didn't say anything about how things are done, but how things are feel when using it. It feels very stable now.

Originally posted by cardboard View Post
          So much Works For Me? going on in this thread.
          It was clearly stated in may first post, that it is my personal experience and I just wanted to say that there are actually people using it without problems.

Comment

I didn't say anything about how things are done, but how things are feel when using it. It feels very stable now.

It was clearly stated in may first post, that it is my personal experience and I just wanted to say that there are actually people using it without problems.
            That's fine to say that. We don't need to argue, though, right?

I'd like to know how a stable KDE (edition) is. :-) Which distro and KDE edition do you use?

I like some of the features, don't like others but the bottom line, is every distro that I've used it with has had serious crashes/freezes. I tried to pinpoint to certain software or was told to check hardware but most of it was declared okay.

I think it could just be using too many tabs or apps in Iceweasel/Firefox (I have been using KDE with Debian and Debian variants) but it even feels a bit unstable with other apps as well.

I am wondering if it is bloated since some people think it is whereas others think it's improving. I'm not sure how it could be both.

I agree with the previous comment that all the DEs have major issues. I guess that is why so many people are trying them all out now, it seems. DE hopping...

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
              I'd like to know how a stable KDE (edition) is. :-) Which distro and KDE edition do you use?
              I'm using openSUSE 12.2 (standard installation, nothing removed). It comes with KDE 4.8 (you can switch to the upstream theme if you don't like the suse colors ;-)). Should be easy to check if it works for you using the KDE LiveCD.

Comment

KDE is a mess. I get constant crashes regardless of distro and often
                I don't like the features and tools of XFCE as much but at least there's way less crashes with XFCE.
                Gnome 3 does the same. However, I don't recall as many crashes but I only used it briefly
                the bottom line, is every distro that I've used it with has had serious crashes/freezes.
                something is wrong with your computer, hardware wise.

Comment

Well, reading this thread makes me wonder. Maybe it's actually the distributions who are messing up KDE so that it crashes.
                  I'm running Arch and KDE, and, in all honesty, never experienced a single crash since the day I'm using KDE.
                  I thinks it's because Arch doesn't modify KDE to the extent other distributions do, though I of course don't have a proof for that.

Or maybe I'm just extremely lucky.
                  Whatever, KDE always worked best for me, and I'm really longin for the Kwin improvements in 4.10

Comment

Originally posted by BitRot View Post
                    Well, reading this thread makes me wonder. Maybe it's actually the distributions who are messing up KDE so that it crashes.
                    I'm running Arch and KDE, and, in all honesty, never experienced a single crash since the day I'm using KDE.
                    I thinks it's because Arch doesn't modify KDE to the extent other distributions do, though I of course don't have a proof for that.

Or maybe I'm just extremely lucky.
                    Whatever, KDE always worked best for me, and I'm really longin for the Kwin improvements in 4.10
                    I dont think it's distribution's fault. I've also used KDE from svn/git or from (mostly unmodified) gentoo packages, and it was the same.
                    Actually, i think it's the contrary : distribution sometimes manages to fix/enhance/hide KDE mess. The most obvious is SuSE i guess. But it costs a lot of manpower to do the QA that KDE fails to do.

You're probably lucky and have very big hardware ressources dedicated to the sole desktop environment (arguably, hard to mesure).

Comment

Originally posted by orzel View Post
                      I dont think it's distribution's fault. I've also used KDE from svn/git or from (mostly unmodified) gentoo packages, and it was the same.
                      Actually, i think it's the contrary : distribution sometimes manages to fix/enhance/hide KDE mess. The most obvious is SuSE i guess. But it costs a lot of manpower to do the QA that KDE fails to do.

You're probably lucky and have very big hardware ressources dedicated to the sole desktop environment (arguably, hard to mesure).
                      I use Arch linux and KDE, its mostly unpatched upstream package and I think they work excellent.
                      The only hardware requirement is (I think) working opengl driver. My old core2duo 1.6 GHz run KDE nicely. The only time I have a little to much processor activity is the initial indexing of my hard drive with strigi the first time after I set up the indexing.
                      Strigi is by the way, supposed to be replaced by some sort of nepomuk based indexer in kde 4.10 (according to a recent blog post).

Comment

Working...
                      X