Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 64

Thread: KDE 4.9.3 November Update Fixes 86 Bugs

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Basement
    Posts
    389

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
    Compare this one, just for fun:

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTE5MzE

    If there's not much to write about, there's just not much to write about. And that's a major release.
    Thus implying; If Michael doesnt write about it, it doesnt exist. What sad and poor world you live in. Here is a clue for you. A poor write up at phoronix doesnt mean shit. Go read the real release announcement og test it. Unlike KDE the unity or gnomers does se new action. Gnome 3.6 actually deserves some applaud for not being deadware like the non-releases put out by KDE.

    The sad news of a early death by a KDE developer saved the last KDE release. If she didnt there was nothing to write about. Claire saved KDE for 4.9. Who will it be for 4.10?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Connecticut,USA
    Posts
    941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Many of those hundreds of newly reported bugs have been fixed or are duplicates but worded differently. The problem KDE is having is distros like Debian keep using ancient releases when nearly every release of KDE is a cluster of bug fixes and nothing else. Also I've found KDE tends to break config files rather easily, which emulate a bug. you can reduce the amount of bugs if you delete your KDE settings, which is inconvenient considering e level of customization KDE has to offer. If you don't use the entire KDE suite I'm sure you can reduce bug encounters by using other programs.

    I agree that KDE has more than they can really handle. There are whole sections they could cut out that a DE doesn't need such as koffice (while it does have its perks, its better to just make libraries to libreoffice to add integration), konqueror, nepomuk, kopete, and so on. I've found many KDE programs to be very sub-par, I'd rather just use DE-neutral programs with KDE plugins for integration. as I've said before, linux is getting too much competition within itself. software isn't getting the dedicated attention it used to because everyone wants to do their own thing.
    Absolutely, if users are experiencing issues upon updates to KDE then the best fix is to delete the config files and restart which will reset KDE to defaults. Then the user can re-configure the settings they had before.

    Bugs are always evident but if some variables are eliminated then the true bugs will be easier to spot

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Thus implying; If Michael doesnt write about it, it doesnt exist. What sad and poor world you live in. Here is a clue for you. A poor write up at phoronix doesnt mean shit. Go read the real release announcement og test it. Unlike KDE the unity or gnomers does se new action. Gnome 3.6 actually deserves some applaud for not being deadware like the non-releases put out by KDE.

    The sad news of a early death by a KDE developer saved the last KDE release. If she didnt there was nothing to write about. Claire saved KDE for 4.9. Who will it be for 4.10?
    The funny thing about desktops that don't suck: They don't have to go through radical changes with every major release.

    The lack of "exciting" new things in major kde releases is due to the fact that it is a mature piece of software.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Basement
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBane View Post
    The lack of "exciting" new things in major kde releases is due to the fact that it is a mature piece of software.
    Mature software loses its bugs, NOT its developers. So KDE is not maturing it is dying. It us quite funny to watch the vocal few in a total denial of the obvious. LuLz.

    Gnome and unity is of course another story.
    Last edited by funkSTAR; 11-08-2012 at 03:20 PM.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by funkSTAR View Post
    Mature software loses its bugs, NOT its developers. So KDE is not maturing it is dying. It us quite funny to watch the vocal few in a total denial of the obvious. LuLz.

    Gnome and unity is of course another story.
    Mature projects gain and lose developers on a regular basis. I have seen nothing to indicate that there has been an exodus of KDE devs.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Digikam has been glitchy up until the past year, and k3b has been around so long it's actually the oldest program I remember, so it had time to mature. On top of that, k3b is a frontend (to the same programs that most other linux cd burning programs use), and correct me if I'm wrong but amarok is a frontend too.
    And digiKam is a front-end to libjpeg, libpng, etc.…

    Quote Originally Posted by energyman View Post
    compare the kde 4.9.3 article with the gnome 3.5.3 article. Just for fun.
    There are a few very simple reasons for that:
    1.) SC releases don't get that many new features these days because the developers are concentrating on modernizing existing features. Frameworks 5, where most engineering effort is going in, are in development since quite some time – if the KDE devs stick to the regular 6 months cycle, KF 5.0 should be released in summer 2013. Plasma applets are being rewritten in QML – ideally looking and behaving almost exactly as the C++ versions.
    When code is completely rewritten, it is a big change but what else would you write instead of “rewritten in QML”?
    2.) Phoronix often features KWin separately.
    3.) Qt is developed independently, whereas GTK is part of the GNOME project, so GTK changes should obviously be part of GNOME changelogs.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paris/France
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marc.collin View Post
    stop using ubuntu and other distribution who are not able to polish kde... and you will have not problem with kde desktop.
    Come on, no distribution can fix the mess that KDE has become. I guess SuSE is the one with best KDE integration, and this probably cost them a LOT of time/money to be so.

    Just have a look at bugs.kde.org and see by yourself.

    I have stopped using KDE 2 years ago because i was fed up to fill bugs every day. None of them has been fixed, few of them have had updates from kde dev, and lot of them got confirmation from other users.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Basement
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orzel View Post
    I have stopped using KDE 2 years ago because i was fed up to fill bugs every day. None of them has been fixed, few of them have had updates from kde dev, and lot of them got confirmation from other users.
    True. I had a quick look at the latest KDE commit digest and compared it to last year. KDE have 50 contributors during one year. So you can expect less developers giving a shit about your bugs. They will bitrot.

    KDE lost its place to Unity. What a nice death lol.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orzel View Post
    I have stopped using KDE 2 years ago because i was fed up to fill bugs every day. None of them has been fixed, few of them have had updates from kde dev, and lot of them got confirmation from other users.
    You should have done it the other way around (wait 2 years then use it). KDE is way more stable than 2 years ago. It is true that there might be bugs (I can see none in the stuff I'm using), but that doesn't mean it's unusable.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paris/France
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droste View Post
    You should have done it the other way around (wait 2 years then use it). KDE is way more stable than 2 years ago. It is true that there might be bugs (I can see none in the stuff I'm using), but that doesn't mean it's unusable.
    That's the common lies coming from KDE. Even recently, i had to remove KDE from lots of user computers I administrate. I used to spend time "fixing" their KDE by removing everything related to nepomuk+strigi+plasma, which usually is enough to bring it back to a usable state, but i got fed up of this too.
    Those were the typical kubuntu, centos, debian stuff, updated, so nothing like the even uglier early kde4.
    It seems so common to say this, but KDE is such a bloatware nowadays. Which we used to say about windows or gnome by the time. (yes, "we", i used to be quite a big KDE fan).

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •