Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ARM, Imagination Technologies Take Over MIPS

Hybrid View

Default ARM, Imagination Technologies Take Over MIPS

Phoronix: ARM, Imagination Technologies Take Over MIPS

MIPS Technologies has announced today that their patent portfolio is being bought out by a company largely backed by ARM while Imagination Technologies will be taking over the MIPS company...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIyMjc

Quote Originally Posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: ARM, Imagination Technologies Take Over MIPS

MIPS Technologies has announced today that their patent portfolio is being bought out by a company largely backed by ARM while Imagination Technologies will be taking over the MIPS company...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIyMjc
    Arent MIPS involved in Chineese efforts to make "West-free" computers? Like in "No-western-OS-from-USA!".

If IT take over MIPS business they will have to honor that obligations.

Quote Originally Posted by przemoli View Post
    Arent MIPS involved in Chineese efforts to make "West-free" computers? Like in "No-western-OS-from-USA!".
    When China last time care about US patents?
    Last edited by RussianNeuroMancer; 11-06-2012 at 12:41 PM. Reason: fix quote

Quote Originally Posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
    When China last time care about US patents?
    Hmm...sadly China is probably doing the right thing, almost all the patents held are BS anyways.

Patent Patent everywhere but not a single drop of free use.

I'm sure this will evoke a shitstorm and several flame/troll acusations, but here it goes:

It is funny that everyone demonizes patents over here but does not realize that it could just as well be used to protect linux and avoid competitor from using technologies developed for it. I'm certain that would strongly help leveling the playing ground with other OSs. If linux devs and the organisations behind them were more patent minded, linux could be in a better position than it is today... just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by przemoli View Post

If IT take over MIPS business they will have to honor that obligations.
    The Loongson processor licenses the MIPS64 ISA, don't think this affects them in anyway. The micro-architecture is of their own design, before they signed the license deal with MIPS. It's also intimately tied to Linux, don't know where this notion of "west-free" came from. The only thing it's free from is probably Intel and AMD. Well, probably not AMD since it licenses AMD's HyperTransport as its system bus and uses AMD 7xx chipset.

But in the broader context, this probably means the end of the MIPS architecture. With the up-coming 64-bit ARMv8, why would anyone support MIPS anymore? In terms of performance it doesn't match up against Intel/AMD's current offering, in terms of power efficiency it stands no chance against ARM. It basically sits in no man's land.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    But in the broader context, this probably means the end of the MIPS architecture. With the up-coming 64-bit ARMv8, why would anyone support MIPS anymore? In terms of performance it doesn't match up against Intel/AMD's current offering, in terms of power efficiency it stands no chance against ARM. It basically sits in no man's land.

I hope not. I like MIPS better and think it has better potential in beefy core race against current x86. Main "weapons" of ARM, like conditional instruction execution are non-effective here, if they ever had really effective overall impact.

I was hoping AMD would go MIPS instead of ARM route...

This can be GREAT for freedom... what I'm hoping this means, is that imagination tech will now stick together their powervr+mips to make a truly worthless SoC that nobody will ever buy, then imagination will go under and the world will be a better place.

The way I read this is that all Imagination tech got was MIPS the COMPANY and the patents directly applicable to MIPS the TECHNOLOGY. ARM gets all the patents NOT relevant to MIPS the TECHNOLOGY, plus a license to all patents held by Imagination. That means that ARM is free to implement MIPS the TECHNOLOGY, but just probably can't call it MIPS. In other words, ARM+MIPS = CROWBARm.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    The Loongson processor licenses the MIPS64 ISA, don't think this affects them in anyway. The micro-architecture is of their own design, before they signed the license deal with MIPS. It's also intimately tied to Linux, don't know where this notion of "west-free" came from. The only thing it's free from is probably Intel and AMD. Well, probably not AMD since it licenses AMD's HyperTransport as its system bus and uses AMD 7xx chipset.

Loongson L3C has 2* 512bit(fmac) units for floating point and another same length for integer, per core. That's almost 2* the Intel AVX and like 4* the AMD pseudo-core, with 1/5 of transistor (40million per core). Also has 70% efficiency when you execute for example "qemu wine css.exe". I prefer a single core @2.5ghz L3C on my phone, pared with half to 1 teraflop open source graphics. Its actually possible if you spend 3 million transistors per 512bit fmac vector, 1-1.5 for execution 1.5-2 for cache, see Open Cores.