Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel X 2.2.1 Driver Release Imminent

Phoronix: Intel X 2.2.1 Driver Release Imminent

We've known since last month that Intel's X.Org display driver would be having a v2.2.1 release soon, and it now looks like it will be released this week. No new features will be introduced until the Intel 2.3.0 driver, but the 2.2.1 release will address a variety of outstanding bugs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I just got a ASUS P5E-VM HDMI, with Intel's X3500 GPU, and compiz has never been as bug-free or as fast for me. I would love to know if these updates have X3500-specific improvements/fixes, and for that matter, any blogs like irregular radeon development companion, or Phoronix's nv updates but for Intel GPUs would be nice to read as well.

Comment

Originally posted by audi100quattro View Post
      I just got a ASUS P5E-VM HDMI, with Intel's X3500 GPU, and compiz has never been as bug-free or as fast for me. I would love to know if these updates have X3500-specific improvements/fixes, and for that matter, any blogs like irregular radeon development companion, or Phoronix's nv updates but for Intel GPUs would be nice to read as well.

We do have Intel coverage, but more is on the way... Though with the 2.2.1 driver release don't expect any improvements in the Compiz realm but check out the latest Mesa git code.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Did somebody get the latest driver working with Xserver 1.3 and Mesa 7.0.2? 3D works for my G33 only till Intel 2.1.1 with older Xserver, which is really a regression...

Comment

Thanks for replying Michael, looking forward to it!

Kano-
          I just couldn't build mesa 7.0.2 with xserver 1.3 for my G35/X3500. I had to upgrade to xserver 1.4 on gutsy. Here's what I had to build using ubuntu/debian source packages: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...45180#poststop If there is a way of making 2D and 3D it work with xserver 1.3, I don't know it.

2.2.0.90 is out according the intel-gfx irc channel, but it still doesn't fix an xrandr bug or a virtual screen size >2048 bug that I think I'm hitting. Both of those are blockers for 2.2.1, so I'll just have to wait. Hopefully I'll only have to upgrade using the xserver-xorg-video-intel-2.2.1 source package unless 2.2.1 shows up in the gutsy repositories. Patience is a virtue.
          Last edited by audir8; 14 February 2008, 02:42 PM.

Comment

mesa 7.0.2 has very little build depends and all are fullfilled in gutsy. You just have to change the debian/control file to compile against 1.3 not only against 1.4.

Comment

You're probably right about 3D not working with xserver 1.3 and 2.2.x drivers being a regression, 3D didn't work for me after trying the directions on the Intel page too (using xserver 1.3), but 2D did work. I didn't think changing the debian/control to require xserver 1.3 would change the end result much from following the Intel directions for my purposes (making 2.2.x and 3D work on gutsy, somehow).

I assumed mesa would compile against whatever xserver header files it found. The dependencies for video-intel-2.2.0 pulled in xserver 1.4 which was ok, but once it started asking for separate xutil dependencies while installing, that was easy to fix using the debian/control file.

edit: need to give the moderators more time...
              Last edited by audir8; 15 February 2008, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X