Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 5.0 Compiler Might Be On The Way

Phoronix: GCC 5.0 Compiler Might Be On The Way

GCC developers have brought up the topic of tagging a GCC 5.0 release soon based upon recent changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

stupid OSS moves as always

Instead of making real progress they seem to be drooling over stupid version number.

Who cares about LRA, NBA, C++ internals etc ?

I want PERFORMANCE ( of the compiler as wall as compiled code) and good, defined user interface.

I couldn't care less if it is written in brainfuck and uses random code generation.

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
      Instead of making real progress they seem to be drooling over stupid version number.
      Or, you know - they spend hours each day working on the compiler, and take a break for five minutes to argue on the mailing list.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
        Or, you know - they spend hours each day working on the compiler, and take a break for five minutes to argue on the mailing list.
        Well then, that puts whole thing in entirely different perspective. Why don't they go for 6.0 to make bigger impact then ?

Comment

Well then, that puts whole thing in entirely different perspective. Why don't they go for 6.0 to make bigger impact then ?
          They could also hire a troll, are you employed?

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            They could also hire a troll, are you employed?
            No, but I just couldn't survive that competition...
            Last edited by Brane215; 06 November 2012, 04:40 AM.

Comment

No, but I just couldn't survive that competition...
              Don't be shy, you're doing a good work here.

Comment

It seems so obvious to everybody, but ...

What is "reload" ?

Comment

Originally posted by orzel View Post
                  What is "reload" ?
                  My point EXACTLY. WTF really cares outside developer circle ?

Comment

Well, let me google that for you...

Originally posted by orzel View Post
                    What is "reload" ?
                    What is reload?

Reload is the GCC equivalent of Satan. See [gccsource:reload.c], [gccsource:reload1.c], and [gccsource:reload.h] if you have a brave soul. (You'll probably also wind up looking at [gccsource:local-alloc.c] and [gccsource:global.c], the register allocator proper.)
                    http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/reload

In short t seems to be a bit of code that has become magic, that is it does loads of thing, but noone has really any knowledge anymore of how, and sometimes why. This makes the code hard to maintain and optimize. So getting rid of reload is probably one large step towards a cleaner codebase that is easier to understand, easier to maintain, and easier to optimize. So maybe getting rid or reloaded is for the maintainers of GCC the foothold to be able to get more performance out of GCC, resulting in what our little troll screams for.

Edit: so yeah, I care mostly because it is exiting what this means for the future.

Comment

Working...
                    X