Enlightenment 0.17 (E17) Reaches Alpha State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
    It's slower or faster than XFCE or LXDE ?
    Single valid question in whole thread.

I am already using E17+Slim from Debian Testing (vanilla) with Kernel 3.2 on P4 2.4 Ghz with i915. 32bit.

Memory usage is: 80MiB loaded desktop. 150MiB with VLC. PulseAudio is also loaded.

This is VERY functional, VERY nice desktop, sans very few translation bugs, like non-translated categories in main menu with e17 possibly simply picking wrong translation.

Feature level is PAST XFCE or LXDE, its near KDE4, but without Plasma widgets. Also has "new install manager", which autolaunches when first logging in. Very easy to configure, very through-thought.

For comparison, LXDE uses 120MiB, XFCE - 160MiB bare.

... However,.. the whole eyecandy might also get into the eye of somebody "technical",.. so I could imagine he picks these two instead of more "tasty" E.

Yes,.. E is fitting the very definition of "tasty low-carb cake".

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
      That said i wouldn't mind if someone patched firefox (or XUL???) to behave as an EFL native app
      What for... GTK-based and QT-based work fine, if you install lxappearance and qt4-config and set good themes...

An xmms2 frondend would be nice IMO
      As you later said "VLC works fine so i don't care much", same for Audacious or XMMS2.. they work fine...

This we need.
      Leafpad. GTK2, but at 15MiB/instance with offering most what basic text editor should do, while staying slick..

Terminology is comming.
      We have like 15 terminal emulators.....! Seriously....!!

The right thing for them to do would be to:
      a) work on bugs.
      b) polish integration with drivers. Yes, Intel OpenGL composition can be unstable sometimes.
      c) add more nice modules to put on the bar. Maybe not XMMS2 front-end, but tray module, and such mini-trayonly-plasmoids.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
        What for... GTK-based and QT-based work fine, if you install lxappearance and qt4-config and set good themes...
        Firefox Qt??? Is this still alive.

As for all the other things you mention i like to have consistent looks and behavior on my desktop, at least for apps i use most of the time. An EFL (telepathy based) chat app would also be nice for example.

Comment

crazycheese, yes you are right about all that stuff. Everything works fine with E, But since even e17 developers started projects like their own browser, pdf reader, media player, terminal emulator, etc. that's why i mentioned it. Yes they are not feature complete and they might never be, but it would be good to have basic stuff like browser, editor, player by default. I think they should add modules like eweather,comp-scale,calendar and some others by default, but yes those need abit more polish.
          Also when i first tried e17, that was very very long time ago (5-6 years ago i guess) that bling theme was so impresive and now this white-black is ok too, but they should make it to look like more blackwhite bling (remember that nice bling theme window focusing effect) with few tweaks, that wouldn't be that hard for them (i have tried to modify bling theme but it looked even worse ).

Comment

Media apps apart there are some more "basic" stuff needed in E. A native NM app would be nice for example. (yes i know there is conman) Also the login manager needs some love. I heard they were working again on Entrance but have no idea if its prime time ready. And yeah. The theme is a bit meh..
            The NM module is not planned at all. If someone provide a patch, we will accept it of course. And yes, the login manager needs some love, but maybe a front end to lightdm would be enough. As for the theme, I think you didn't check the alpha ;-)

Comment

We have like 15 terminal emulators.....! Seriously....!!
              Seriously ? You are lacking imagination. Terminal emulator are not portable, heavy and slow for what they do. Terminology is lighter, faster and yet provide more nice effect. And we have still room for improvement. And remember, writing a terminal emulator took only 1 month of part time development.

The right thing for them to do would be to:
              a) work on bugs.
              I kind of dislike when people make this statement as if we don't care about our software. All developer use E from svn with a daily update. That means we care about having a working, stable and fast environment. Stating we need to focus on bug fixing, is king of insulting here, even more as a first point. Look at our trac, we do care about fixing bug.

b) polish integration with drivers. Yes, Intel OpenGL composition can be unstable sometimes.
              A driver bug, the only think we can do is report the crash to the upstream project and help them reproduce/fix it, but it has nothing more to do with Enlightenment. We provide a software backend for people to wait until they get a proper OpenGL driver (almost all GPU provider have had issue with compositor on Linux).

c) add more nice modules to put on the bar. Maybe not XMMS2 front-end, but tray module, and such mini-trayonly-plasmoids.
              Yes, that's part of the todo in the futur, mainline more module, but that will not be that much time consuming (I don't think we have any plan with xmms2, only mpd as far as I know). Current todo list for E18 is to move to a full compositor manager, integrate Elementary and add more modules.

Comment

Originally posted by bleubugs View Post
                The NM module is not planned at all. If someone provide a patch, we will accept it of course. And yes, the login manager needs some love, but maybe a front end to lightdm would be enough. As for the theme, I think you didn't check the alpha ;-)
                Yes i was playing around with an older version. I need to create a VM to play around with but this after i get over other problems i have currently (oh how much i am NOT buying intel stuff again ).

If you wouldn't mind sharing a screenshot i'd appreciate it.

Once E17 is released i believe that there is going to be more development and new contributors so thing like login manager and NM will probably be solved. But IMO you should offer a native login manager upon release. Its in a way a core part of the desktop.

Thanks for your work.

Comment

For Christmas, I'm wishing...
                  e-angelic-v3 for e17 default theme

Comment

Looks like crap to me. Default blackwhite theme like thousand times better, but that's just me. Gawd, tried to compile manually packages and failed Guess i'll have to wait till someone write pkgbuilds for efl 1.7.x libraries and e-alpha.
                    Last edited by phoen1x; 06 November 2012, 01:02 PM.

Comment

So, i finally installed e-alpha after tweaking few pkgbuilds. First impression? I don't know New theme looks nice, but i'm not a huge fan of that blue color. Tried terminology and i have to say it's so awesome By the way clock if i set it to digital looks out of place in this whole new theme. Overall it feels nice even though it felt nice every time i've tried it. Good job e-devs!

Comment

Working...
                      X