Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: Arch 2012.11.01 Switches To Linux 3.6 Kernel

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,775

    Default Arch 2012.11.01 Switches To Linux 3.6 Kernel

    Phoronix: Arch 2012.11.01 Switches To Linux 3.6 Kernel

    The Arch Linux project has shipped their monthly install media update for the distribution that's popular with Linux enthusiasts...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIyMDc

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,790

    Default

    Still no installer that can set you up with a desktop?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Still no installer that can set you up with a desktop?
    Wrong distro

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fackamato View Post
    Wrong distro
    Any other rolling release distros out there that actually can be installed by mere mortals?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Any other rolling release distros out there that actually can be installed by mere mortals?
    If the mortal can read, Archlinux can be installed. Not trollling, you just need to partition your target, format it, install some packages, change a config, update your boot loader and you're done. Try it!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fackamato View Post
    If the mortal can read, Archlinux can be installed. Not trollling, you just need to partition your target, format it, install some packages, change a config, update your boot loader and you're done. Try it!
    I did try it. I hated it :-P And I'm a Gentoo user, even. I guess I was looking for "emerge kde", but didn't find it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    .ro/.ca
    Posts
    232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    I guess I was looking for "emerge kde", but didn't find it.
    "pacman -S kde" didn't work for you? That would automatically take your system from base install to full KDE.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    I did try it. I hated it :-P And I'm a Gentoo user, even. I guess I was looking for "emerge kde", but didn't find it.
    Um. Not sure if troll. The stupidity, it burns.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    3,790

    Default

    I blame the system, not the user ;-)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Still no installer that can set you up with a desktop?
    You might be interested in Manjaro Linux. Or Archbang Linux. I'd mention Chakra too, but you might not be that much of a KDE fan(only available DE there).
    All rolling, very recent packages. The first too are pretty much Arch, but a bit pre-configured you could say. They both get you a desktop after install.
    There's likely more, but I don't remember now. I think Manjaro have their own repos and do a little bit more testing than Arch(but it's still bleeding edge).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •