Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Linus Torvalds Switches Back To KDE

Default Who the fuck cares?

He bitches about everything. He said he once tried to work on the ubuntu-patched kernel and gave up. He's bitched about the whole gnome project, bitched about KDE, called Debian pointless, curses out a company and everyone cums themselves.
    I really don't get why the god damned worship people give him.
    I respect his views, but he gets blown out of proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by tancrackers View Post
    curses out a company
    Considering that it has always been the case where Linux has bent over backwards to get hardware to work on it, with or without the hardware manuf. support, I'd say it was a pretty big deal as I don't believe Linus (or any other kernel dev) has ever publicly done that before, on video, to any hardware manuf.

He's bitched about the whole gnome project, bitched about KDE,
    Every PC user bitches about their Desktop. It would be news if they didn't. I could bitch about LXDE, KDE, and IceWM until the cows come home because I know them so well. I used to work in an all-windows multi billion dollar corporation and everyday somebody would call me and bitch to me about their Windows desktop, even though that's the only desktop they've ever known. If you don't have anything to bitch about it's because you haven't used it long enough.

called Debian pointless
    Either you have a horrible horrible time understanding English or you're intentionally taking things out of context to piss people off for fun.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume English isn't your native language.

The context of that was winning over marketshare and Linus felt that in order to do that, every distribution should make it a primary goal to make it easier to use. So installing Debian was a "pointless exercise" in that regard because that has never been a primary goal of Debian. As a lot of Debian devs say, you only need to install Debian once on the PC, so it just didn't make sense in the past to put so much effort into an installer as people will only run it once. As long as it works, it was considered to be good enough.
    Last edited by Sidicas; 11-02-2012 at 11:49 PM.

The fact that he complains so much and states his opinion is what makes it interesting. He is honest about his feelings so when he says something sucks or doesn't completely suck you know he isn't sugar coating it. He doesn't play favorites between gnome or kde or xfce. He will tell you what is wrong with each one of them and what is good about them. I don't know any other person who you can say the same about. Everyone else seems more biased and would switch to windows before switching to another DE.

Default There's a big difference between speaking your mind and being blunt

Which does he do?
    Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidicas View Post
    Either you have a horrible horrible time understanding English or you're intentionally taking things out of context to piss people off for fun.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume English isn't your native language.

The context of that was winning over marketshare and Linus felt that in order to do that, every distribution should make it a primary goal to make it easier to use. So installing Debian was a "pointless exercise" in that regard because that has never been a primary goal of Debian. As a lot of Debian devs say, you only need to install Debian once on the PC, so it just didn't make sense in the past to put so much effort into an installer as people will only run it once. As long as it works, it was considered to be good enough.
    Ok I'll admit it, you got me there! FYI English IS my first language >_>

My point was, he just seems overglorified. I'm all for speaking your mind, but jesus christ it's pretty annoying when it borders on shock value.

I read his debate with Professor Tanenbaum and Torvalds came off a little punkish. Tanenbaum sounded 100% professional whereas I read Torvalds say, "...Minix sucks."

---

As for why he switched, I'd say this was a perfect time since KDE is on version 4.9.2, it has had enough stability improvements since the 4.x fiasco started. 4.9 is by far the best KDE 4.x release that I have ever used. So I have a feeling he's gonna be sticking with KDE from now on ;o

i hate kde for objective reasons, not because of bias. As a matter of fact I used to love kd3, it had a few issues, but was a great desktop. kde4 looks like a damn toy. it is too untraditional. as a result, it gets in your way, instead of guiding your workflow.

Quote Originally Posted by garegin View Post
    i hate kde for objective reasons, not because of bias. As a matter of fact I used to love kd3, it had a few issues, but was a great desktop. kde4 looks like a damn toy. it is too untraditional. as a result, it gets in your way, instead of guiding your workflow.
    That's odd - not something that I found at all - I have a faster workflow on KDE4 then I ever had on 3.x. Though it's probably important to note that it is not the same workflow

Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    KDE's default mouse cursors are laughable. This is one of the reasons why people say KDE looks "cartoony." Instead of sharp, precise pointer, we get a bulky, fuzzy piece of madness.

Why KDE doesn't simply adopt Vanilla-DMZ as its default mouse cursor theme is beyond me.
    Have been using these for years now, without any problems.

He bitches about everything. He said he once tried to work on the ubuntu-patched kernel and gave up. He's bitched about the whole gnome project, bitched about KDE, called Debian pointless, curses out a company and everyone cums themselves.
    I really don't get why the god damned worship people give him.
    I respect his views, but he gets blown out of proportion.
    because he is with everything he was bitching about MOSTLY right! though, i do not care about worshipping anybody.

My point was, he just seems overglorified.
    probably. that's with people that lack knwoledge. they start to hate or glorify.
    I read his debate with Professor Tanenbaum and Torvalds came off a little punkish. Tanenbaum sounded 100% professional whereas I read Torvalds say, "...Minix sucks."
    you should also know the backstory. there is much more behind.
    As for why he switched, I'd say this was a perfect time since KDE is on version 4.9.2, it has had enough stability improvements since the 4.x fiasco started. 4.9 is by far the best KDE 4.x release that I have ever used. So I have a feeling he's gonna be sticking with KDE from now on ;o
    no matter how good or not kde is, i doubt he will be sticking. he seems to be always on a journy of trying out this and that and that type of guy that is never really satisfied. personaly this is a disadvantage but profesionally this is an advantage. guess why!

Default "wobbly windows" IS a must

"wobbly windows" IS a must, once you start using it.

It gives me the visual cues I can no longer live without. The active window is immediately recognized.

Seriously, it is that good.