Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CoreCode's CoreBreach Game Goes Open-Source

Phoronix: CoreCode's CoreBreach Game Goes Open-Source

Last year there was the release of CoreBreach, a racing game originally developed for Mac OS X that came out of the Austrian-based CoreCode game studio. Back in June the studio exclusively shared with Phoronix that they want to open-source CoreBreach while now to kick off November, they have released the game's source-code. CoreBreach was ported to Linux from OS X using GNUstep, etc...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This game has huge potential, it just needs some work though. The building environment set up in the source-package even has developer-specific build-locations. It needs a lot of cleaning.

Comment

thanks for pointing this out, there were a few small instances of referencing local paths in the xcodeproject but that should not have stopped a build (just change its destination).

i've fixed this now.

not sure what other cleanups you are referring too. yes this is a production codebase and contains (sometimes ugly) workarounds to get things working on 4 different operating systems. you can call it "production quality". or you can call it "needs a complete rewrite" ;-)

Comment

Is that the complete game or only the engine?

Comment

Originally posted by CoreCode View Post
          thanks for pointing this out, there were a few small instances of referencing local paths in the xcodeproject but that should not have stopped a build (just change its destination).

i've fixed this now.

not sure what other cleanups you are referring too. yes this is a production codebase and contains (sometimes ugly) workarounds to get things working on 4 different operating systems. you can call it "production quality". or you can call it "needs a complete rewrite" ;-)
          Nah, these issues are not that dramatic. I would definitely call it "production quality", it just needs a group of developers to sort some things out.
          Great work on the game!

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            Is that the complete game or only the engine?

both engine (https://github.com/core-code/Core3D) and game (https://github.com/core-code/CoreBreach).

whats missing is the game data. some of the game data has been open-sourced, some has been included as freeware (so you have a working but ugly game after a compile) and some has been replaced by dummy graphics. but of course you can combine the compiled game e.g. with the freeware demo dataset or the full commercial 4.99$ dataset.

Comment

Well the demo had a stupid track as well, i don't think i will compile it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                Well the demo had a stupid track as well, i don't think i will compile it.
                This is exactly the point. If the dev expects this game to be a successful OSS-Game-Title, he should release the entire Game.

Comment

Well if a track editor is there you could create more tracks, the full game has got only a few ones as well. For the old game stunts it was really fun to create tracks - trackmania had a similar idea.

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post
                    This is exactly the point. If the dev expects this game to be a successful OSS-Game-Title, he should release the entire Game.
                    i don't expect anything.
                    i'm releasing the source because:
                    ?*some people wanted the source code to be released
                    ? source code for our projects at corecode is always released sooner or later

its just plain impossible to release the game data as well because we don't have the legal rights to do so.

Comment

Working...
                    X