AMD Is Indeed Losing More Linux Developers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@curaga

vt-x is there even for cheap chips, that was the cheapest from the ivy bridge lineup, the older ones are even cheaper.

vt-d is something like amd-vi, which is only possible with am3 cpus and 890fx and series amd series 9 chipsets - all of those are without integrated gfx btw. ok, you could get aes-ni support cheaper with amd, but not so many ppl use it, intel wants you to buy i5 for that feature but definitely NOT to get vt-x.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
      The house is on fire, the house is on fire!

Do most people on here talk like they're 20 with zero experience outside of small Linux start-ups, if that?

Seriously, major changes for AMD have been put into motion and this apocalyptic attitude is truly sad, mainly from people who don't care about AMD in the first place and then added on by die hard AMD CPU fans who think AMD is ending their Desktop lines.

ARM isn't replacing Vishera/Steamroller, blah, blah blah. Having a hybrid solution for HSA computing that allows systems to run on extremely low power set ups while not doing heavy lifting is a sign of intelligence by designers at AMD.

HSA Computing. Learn it, live it, love it.
      That's exactly what we know and that's the biggest problem: AMD is going to release new architecture. New architecture needs drivers to perform (or work at all), especially hybrid solutions! Who is going to develop them for Linux? Intel?

Comment

so

if i vote for Romney, will AMD relase a new driver for my 4200hd and 9800 pro?

I hope microsoft don't upgrade my Xbox 360, because AMD won't support Windows 8 on it.

Resource management my ass.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
          Competition is always welcomed. It isn't true that Intel dual core costs $200-$300.
          Jimms.fi on asiantunteva tietotekniikan, komponenttien ja viihde-elektroniikan verkkokauppa. Tilauksiin aina saatavilla ilmainen toimitusvaihtoehto!

Just one example. 157 eur ~= 200 usd. Desktop dual core i3.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            @curaga

vt-x is there even for cheap chips, that was the cheapest from the ivy bridge lineup, the older ones are even cheaper.

vt-d is something like amd-vi, which is only possible with am3 cpus and 890fx and series amd series 9 chipsets - all of those are without integrated gfx btw. ok, you could get aes-ni support cheaper with amd, but not so many ppl use it, intel wants you to buy i5 for that feature but definitely NOT to get vt-x.
            I said "complete virtualization", that includes IO or VT-d as Intel calls it.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              http://www.jimms.fi/tuote/BX80637I33225

Just one example. 157 eur ~= 200 usd. Desktop dual core i3.
              getgoods Online Shop » Jetzt günstig & sicher einkaufen! » Riesen Auswahl ✓ Top Marken ✓ ☆ Top Kundenbewertung ✓ » Gratis Versand mit Versandkostenflatrate!

Pentium Dual Core 56.49 Euro with 19% tax ~= 47.47 Euro without tax ~= $60.53 ( today rate 1.275 )
              Last edited by JS987; 07 November 2012, 05:55 PM.

Comment

@curaga

And how many ppl use AMD-Vi or vt-d? Do YOU use it?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  @curaga

And how many ppl use AMD-Vi or vt-d? Do YOU use it?
                  Raises hand.

Comment

AMD RIP... Seriously, Linux could be last hope with their architrectural improvisations. But now they mean no Android phones or tablets, no servers... ? Seriously? It's one way to escape from bankrupcy or AMD - go on ARM. But linux support question will stay.
                    I didnt buy intel CPUs before this time, but i definitely will.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                      Echo that. AMD guy, you still there?
                      Yes, I'm still here. I can confirm that there was no reduction of the open source graphics and embedded linux teams that report to me. Staffing information is necessarily confidential so there's nothing more I can share on this topic.

Tim

Comment

Working...
                      X