Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Is Indeed Losing More Linux Developers

Phoronix: AMD Is Indeed Losing More Linux Developers

At the beginning of the week I reported that AMD got rid of at least three of their Linux kernel developers. It's becoming more clear though that it's not only three long-time Linux kernel developers they have let go...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does this also mean Vishera was the last CPU ?..

Leaves little choice for future systems...

Comment

Last AMD cpu properly supported under linux? Perhaps, if they don't hire people elsewhere.

Comment

I really hope

they don't kill OSS drivers for video cards.

If they do, i wont be buying anything from them again... So far all CPU i had since 90's - was under their brand. I was just hoping to go for their video cards, pretty much decided that my next upgrade for video will be theirs, but looks like another decade with Nvidia is coming... Looks like Intel will be only way to go with CPU.
        It's freaking sad...
        Last edited by dimko; 02 November 2012, 01:08 PM. Reason: some changes

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post

If they do, i wont be buying anything from them again... So far all CPU i had since 90's - was under their brand. I was just hoping to go for their video cards, pretty much decided that my next upgrade for video will be theirs, but looks like another decade with Nvidia is coming... Looks like Intel will be only way to go with CPU.
          It's freaking sad...
          they just drop anything INTEL-86_86 like because they go with ARM-64bit in the future

there new opterons in 2014 will be 32-64core ARM 64bit system with APU (Radeon hd8000) technique.

Intel just deserve this. then all linux people go with MIPS or ARM and intel get there "monopole" for anything else.

Comment

It's freaking sad...
            sign

Comment

It's freaking sad...
              so far it doesn't seem that way, not on the windows side either. AMDs management seems to at least have the common sense to not do anything to their gpu department, since that is an overall success. IMO AMD needs to just ditch their CPU market entirely - while i think they could make the arm-x86 hybrid work, it probably won't be worth the effort. Or they need to join with ARM and ditch their x86 efforts but combine their ideas with x86 and implement it into ARM. in that situation they could probably make the best ARM based CPU out there.

Comment

This doesn't seem to mesh with their plans to introduce 64-bit ARM chips. I would think the consequence of that decision is to bring on more Linux developers.

They're not going to compete in the ARM space without a solid group of Linux developers.

Comment

Well damn

I was planning to build a new Linux box with AMD hardware to setup a VM server. What good will that do me if the Linux devs are being let go. It can't be expected that people will continue to buy products that will go unsupported. This is just upsetting as I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg to get an Intel server setup -_-''

Comment

Everyone on here supports Intel. AMD will get no sympathy

Comment

Working...
                    X