AMD Is Indeed Losing More Linux Developers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tecknurd View Post
    Intel dual cores costs around $70. There is competition. Actually the competition is not coming from AMD but from Intel. Intel's different microarchitectures are competing each other. One is Sandy Bridge and the other is Ivy Bridge. Haswell will be coming and it will break up the two microarchitectures. AMD is doing the exact same thing. AMD's Bulldozer and Piledriver are competing against each other.
    I'm not talking about the bargain bin i3s of course. I mean the uncrippled, full versions with actual performance in addition to standard features like complete virtualization and AES-NI.

Competition from older lines is hardly an issue when you have stopped producing that older line. Inventory will sell out and then that's that.

Comment

Originally posted by disi View Post
      I am wondering about the new AMD guy (replacement for bridgeman, forgot the name). There is never any info or whatever
      Yes, that's kind of sad... I always liked the direct communication.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
        Yes, that's kind of sad... I always liked the direct communication.
        Echo that. AMD guy, you still there?

Comment

AMD has no plans to stop supporting Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            I'm not talking about the bargain bin i3s of course. I mean the uncrippled, full versions with actual performance in addition to standard features like complete virtualization and AES-NI.

Competition from older lines is hardly an issue when you have stopped producing that older line. Inventory will sell out and then that's that.
            Most of users don't need complete virtualization and AES-NI.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
              Most of users don't need complete virtualization and AES-NI.
              True; but the bargain bin prices will also rise without competition.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                True; but the bargain bin prices will also rise without competition.
                Competition is always welcomed. It isn't true that Intel dual core costs $200-$300.

Comment

The house is on fire, the house is on fire!

Do most people on here talk like they're 20 with zero experience outside of small Linux start-ups, if that?

Seriously, major changes for AMD have been put into motion and this apocalyptic attitude is truly sad, mainly from people who don't care about AMD in the first place and then added on by die hard AMD CPU fans who think AMD is ending their Desktop lines.

ARM isn't replacing Vishera/Steamroller, blah, blah blah. Having a hybrid solution for HSA computing that allows systems to run on extremely low power set ups while not doing heavy lifting is a sign of intelligence by designers at AMD.

HSA Computing. Learn it, live it, love it.

Comment

OSRC closed accordng to heise.de

Heise.de (German c't mag) claims that AMD has indeed closed the OSRC. Bad news for both, AMD and Linux IMHO.

m Rahmen der Entlassung von 15 Prozent seiner Belegschaft hat AMD das in Dresden ansässige Operating System Research Center (OSRC) geschlossen und dessen Mitarbeiter freigestellt, die unter anderem zum Linux-Kernel und zu Xen beigetragen haben.

Comment

Originally posted by edgar_wibeau View Post
                      Heise.de (German c't mag) claims that AMD has indeed closed the OSRC. Bad news for both, AMD and Linux IMHO.

http://heise.de/-1744540
                      As a long-term supporter of AMD this is truly disappointing.

Comment

Working...
                      X