Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 70

Thread: AMD Is Indeed Losing More Linux Developers

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    161

    Default

    Sad news to hear. But it will not stop me from buying AMD in the future. Intel is is evil, Nvidia hates Linux, so my only choice in buying CPU/GPU's is AMD.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rallos Zek View Post
    Nvidia hates Linux
    Nvidia doesn't hate Linux itself, because some of their best customers use *nix solutions. Nvidia just doesn't care for the GPL idealists that won't make any concessions for binary blobs. If Nvidia really hated Linux, they would be suing nouveau developers.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in front of my box :p
    Posts
    811

    Default

    Ah, this is a shit!
    I knew Jörg from Linux Tag in Berlin. Gave him a beer.
    Dahmit! Not another one.

    It's really hard to see an "underdog" company which was very FOSS friendly always struggle so hard. I wonder how they want to do their new ARM-chips without proper support from the software side. The OSRC Dresden was a damn good thing to have even if you didn't hear so often about it like you did with the Radeon FOSS stack.
    But this is after so many years of oppression by intel and ignorant customers (but this is not intel inside, it is probably not compatible) and vendors (selling "real MHz").

    And I wish they'd fire management not engineers. You can't operate anything with managers alone.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Cologne, Germany
    Posts
    308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boast View Post
    Everyone on here supports Intel. AMD will get no sympathy
    There is no good reason to do so. Intel exceeds the other manufacturers by far in terms of developing WITH and not FOR the Open Source-community.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Third Rock from the Sun
    Posts
    6,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adarion View Post
    I wonder how they want to do their new ARM-chips without proper support from the software side.
    I'm not sure where you think that there will not be proper software support for their ARM/x86 hybrids. While there maybe no "proper support" for linux, the chances are that AMD have been working with MS already (possibly even Apple) for that proper support like they did when AMD brought out AMD-64.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    519

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bwat47 View Post
    AMD is a sinking ship on linux it looks like. Their proprietary driver is always dropping support for fairly recent hardware and calling it "legacy", and they are laying off developers for the OSS stuff.

    Intel if you want integrated graphics, nvidia if you need a dedicated card. Its a shame, I had hopes for AMD on linux when they started to release documentation.
    Erm... They relegated dx9-class hardware to legacy in Catalyst when win7 was released, and again with dx10-class GFX cards now that win8 is out, both for windows and Linux. The Linux driver shares the codebase with the windows one.
    Yes it's unfortunate that those cards are still prefectly capable of running pretty much anything remotely taxing for us right now, though I see it merely as collateral damage. At least we still have their work on the FOSS side of things.

    So please stop making it sound like AMD has a grudge against Linux users. It's called "resource management in a financially troubled business 101". If you want to help them, get a newer card or contribute to the FOSS drivers, that's the best you can do, and also much more constructive. You'll be happy you did soon enough.

    As for the article at hand, well it's indeed troubling, though I still think it's a bit early to know what's going on exactly. I suppose AMD will at least relocate the affected depts.
    As for the people in Dresden being let go (if it is the case), a big thanks for your work and I'm sure you guys will find new positions, with your knowledge and all!
    Last edited by PsynoKhi0; 11-03-2012 at 10:38 AM.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Is this news sad? Yes and no. If the open source community has documentation for AMD graphics why are they sad that AMD is kicking out Linux developers. Linux is created based on developer's free time and most of all free will. I think former AMD Linux developers will try to support AMD products on their free time. It is not the end of the world.

    AMD's proprietary graphics drivers are always pathetic. I prefer to use open source drivers or Xorg's drivers for ATI and AMD graphic cards although they have their limits in features. I always hesitate when using AMD graphics in Windows.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rallos Zek View Post
    Sad news to hear. But it will not stop me from buying AMD in the future. Intel is is evil, Nvidia hates Linux, so my only choice in buying CPU/GPU's is AMD.
    I disagree with your statement that nVidia hates Linux. This is wrong because nVidia supports Linux by providing driver support. They also support other operating systems besides Linux like BSD and Solaris. AMD does not support those other open source operating systems. nVidia makes their drivers closed source because they feel they can write them better which they are better then open source drivers like for AMD graphics and Intel graphics. Also nVidia makes their drivers closed source because all the tasks are handled by software instead of mostly hardware. AMD can provide documentation for their graphics because most of the tasks are handled mostly in hardware. It is easier to hide property in hardware than it is in software. I prefer to use nVidia graphic cards because they actually are better than open source drivers.

    I do not work for nVidia. I have used AMD graphics and Intel graphics in Linux. nVidia still comes out being the best.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    With Intel dual cores already costing 200-300$, what do you think would happen with no competition?
    Intel dual cores costs around $70. There is competition. Actually the competition is not coming from AMD but from Intel. Intel's different microarchitectures are competing each other. One is Sandy Bridge and the other is Ivy Bridge. Haswell will be coming and it will break up the two microarchitectures. AMD is doing the exact same thing. AMD's Bulldozer and Piledriver are competing against each other.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    France
    Posts
    214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tecknurd View Post
    Linux is created based on developer's free time and most of all free will.
    At least 50% of the changeset done in the 3.6 kernel was written by developers working for an enterprise.
    I have only partial stats, but I even think it's more than 80%.

    Quote Originally Posted by tecknurd View Post
    nVidia makes their drivers closed source because they feel they can write them better
    This is not what Linux developpers think :

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Kroah-Hartman
    The very good side effects of having your driver in the main kernel tree are:
    - The quality of the driver will rise as the maintenance costs (to the original developer) will decrease.
    - Other developers will add features to your driver.
    - Other people will find and fix bugs in your driver.
    - Other people will find tuning opportunities in your driver.
    - Other people will update the driver for you when external interface changes require it.
    - The driver automatically gets shipped in all Linux distributions without having to ask the distros to add it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tecknurd View Post
    Also nVidia makes their drivers closed source because all the tasks are handled by software instead of mostly hardware.
    I laughed.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    379

    Default AMD info

    I am wondering about the new AMD guy (replacement for bridgeman, forgot the name). There is never any info or whatever

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •