No announcement yet.

rs690 open source support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys thank you so much for all the work you put into this!!

I happen to use RS690 chip and if I could help in any way for testing or whatever you tell me I will gladly do it!!

Our main problem with fglrx is video support and generally 2D behaviour and performance. Also is EXA usable with the open driver?

I am a member of the mailing list exert said above.
    And I think we can all help there a lot with the new stuff!!

Thanks again!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by djdoo View Post
      Our main problem with fglrx is video support and generally 2D behaviour and performance. Also is EXA usable with the open driver?
      EXA should work but I don't know about RENDER acceleration (because on the infamous rs480 RENDER does not work and these chips are very similar) and switching to console. Do they work?

Edit: Looking at radeonhd.org logs it seems that VT switching still doesn't work but this issue is being worked on .
      Last edited by Mithrandir; 29 January 2008, 05:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
        EXA should work but I don't know about RENDER acceleration (because on the infamous rs480 RENDER does not work and these chips are very similar) and switching to console. Do they work?

Edit: Looking at radeonhd.org logs it seems that VT switching still doesn't work but this issue is being worked on .
        i don't have render on rs480. and exa has the same cursor problem that the fglrx has. with xaa adding xaanooffscreenpixmaps works but with substituting exa to xaa won't work.

Comment

Well I tried radeon (git 03 02 2008) from debian experimental package. 2d acceleration worked nice, however I didn't try the 3d because text console mode (ctrl alt f1) always ended up as white screen so I gave up on this driver quite fast ...

Now I'm running radeonhd 1.1, but any advice is welcomed should I try newer radeon or radeonhd from git ? Text console is sth that I do need ...

Comment

That raises a good point. We were thinking that basic 3d support would be more broadly useful than accelerating EXA Render, but for the IGP parts (where 3d is going to take a bit more work because they don't have vertex shaders) implementing full Render might make the open source drivers a lot more useful.

Wolke, Dave and Alex have done the hard part -- getting the 3d engine running in the 3d driver for rotation support -- so adding the blend ops for Render might be worth doing on the 3xx/4xx engine even if we didn't extend it to R5xx/6xx immediately.

Radeonhd from git will get you some 2d acceleration now. It needs to have CP/DRM support added to get full acceleration but depending on your CPU it might be worth moving to the latest radeonhd today.
            Test signature

Comment

Hi,

I want to have some newer informations about 3D support for this card, it seems to be broken with newest Ubuntu distributions (with kernel 4.2 or more...)

Comment

Aisyk
                I think it is best to open your own thread, or even better a bug report with all detailed information about your system and the errors/broken things that you encounter.

Comment

Working...
                X