Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon R600 Gallium3D Enables 2D Color Tiling

Phoronix: Radeon R600 Gallium3D Enables 2D Color Tiling

For those pulling down the Git master of the xf86-video-ati X.Org graphics driver this week, 2D color tiling is finally enabled by default for Radeon HD 2000/3000/4000/5000/6000 series graphics cards, from R6xx through the "Cayman" GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've just tried the latest code, and X wont start. :/

Comment

Originally posted by pejakm View Post
      I've just tried the latest code, and X wont start. :/
      On Fedora 17 it also goes tits up, when I enable it
      Doesn't crash but totally distorted display.

Comment

Originally posted by disi View Post
        On Fedora 17 it also goes tits up, when I enable it
        Doesn't crash but totally distorted display.
        You might also need to update other parts of the stack -- libdrm, kernel and/or mesa.

It's possible that some part of the stack doesn't understand what's happening.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
          You might also need to update other parts of the stack -- libdrm, kernel and/or mesa.

It's possible that some part of the stack doesn't understand what's happening.
          xorg-server = 1.13
          kernel = 3.6.5
          mesa = latest git

What else is needed?

P.S. This is output from Xorg log (these do not occur if using stable xf86-video-ati driver):
          [ 13.501] (WW) RADEON(0): No outputs definitely connected, trying again...
          [ 13.501] (WW) RADEON(0): Unable to find connected outputs - setting 1024x768 initial framebuffer
          Last edited by pejakm; 01 November 2012, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pejakm View Post
            xorg-server = 1.13
            kernel = 3.6.5
            mesa = latest git

What else is needed?

P.S. This is output from Xorg log (these do not occur if using stable xf86-video-ati driver):
            Wild guess the ddx you build did not have kms support enabled. ./configure will print at the end if it's enabled or not read carefully

Comment

Originally posted by glisse View Post
              Wild guess the ddx you build did not have kms support enabled. ./configure will print at the end if it's enabled or not read carefully
              got a similar issue: after building libdrm mesa xf86-video-ati (which worked previously + kms is enabled)

the screen stays black and the monitor turns off

I hope this doesn't resemble fglrx-behavior

need this box for production so rolled back the previous versions from october 26th

so it's most probably not an configuration issue - otherwise something changed in ddx and kms isn't enabled anymore or not working properly

Comment

Originally posted by glisse View Post
                Current ATI which have 2d tiling enabled by default only supports KMS so this should not be possible...

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
                  got a similar issue: after building libdrm mesa xf86-video-ati (which worked previously + kms is enabled)

the screen stays black and the monitor turns off

I hope this doesn't resemble fglrx-behavior

need this box for production so rolled back the previous versions from october 26th

so it's most probably not an configuration issue - otherwise something changed in ddx and kms isn't enabled anymore or not working properly

ok, now it works - seems like either previously there was some issue with the state of git + my system that didn't mix well

or it was llvm

the r600-llvm-compiler switch (gentoo) didn't want to compile now (needs specific patch) so I disabled it and X works so far

might look into it and compile it manually/custom ebuilds

Comment

Working...
                  X