Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org, Wayland Plans For Ubuntu 13.04 Are Drawn

Phoronix: X.Org, Wayland Plans For Ubuntu 13.04 Are Drawn

The general X.Org discussion during the Ubuntu Developer Summit was held today to discuss X.Org/Wayland expectations for the Ubuntu 13.04 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael, we both know this is not a news. It's a normal "duty" for a company that is not insane! It will be 2015 when Wayland will be "the default". And I'm even optimistic.

Comment

Obviously wayland won't be in ubuntu 13.04 since it is not yet supported by the current GPU drivers, X/wayland, nor unity/compiz. What I would like to see is canonical actually doing something to get those pieces of the puzzle as soon as possible. Simply discussing how it would be impractical it is to implement it right now does not seem to be the best use of devs' time...

Since after 13.04 canonical would only have 13.10 to test the waters with wayland before another LTS, it is most probably gonna be 14.10 or later when we see any implementation of wayland on ubuntu. Which is strange, because 14.04 is touted as the release of ubuntu TV and ubuntu phone/tablet. Are they seriously thinking about doing that with X? Really? Do they think thet can sell tearing as a feature on those TVs?
      Last edited by Figueiredo; 01 November 2012, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Confident

I'd think they'll make it a log-in option to attract the most possible Ubuntu+Wayland development. Then interested developers are only a PPA update away from XWayland (when it's ready) etc.

Comment

I still see it as unlikely that Wayland will play any significant role in Ubuntu 13.04.
          What are they waiting for? Wayland being ready for the next 2014 LTS should be top priority! Canonical always talks about this and that but in the end they do nothing but wait for others to do the real low level work. They are only good at reinventing things so that they can control them.

Comment

Working...
          X