There Might Be Another EXT4 Corruption Bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ryao View Post
    As far as I know, ZFS is the only usable alternative available that provides solid data integrity guarentees.
    Thanks, i will try it in my nest build....i might need to build a Linux box around a mini-ITX MB sooner than i thought and will use ZFS on it...

Is ZFS by any reason slower than EXT4 ?

Data integrity is a must but i would like to know if there is a speed penalty if i also use it in a gaming rig....

TIA,
    AJSB

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
      See the thing is you never see these kinds of bugs reported let's say in windows so you may think that windows is more stable. But that's because it's closed source. This, being open source, we see bugs like these daily and you get the impression that ext4 is shit when it's actually pretty good.
      +1

In Window$ we download patches for what we even haven't a clue for what they are.....and yes, one of the several reasons i dropped Window$ was data integrity because several times some games locked my rig and only way to switch off was to hard reset making data corruption....

Alt+PrtScrn+REISUB is our friend

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
        So much hasty conclusions (and bullshit) in one single post.

If you read previous posts from me you would know by now that i use SLACKWARE as my only distro (i do install other distros in another partitation for testing purposes but don't use them in a regular basis, hence my reference to 12.04 to 12.10) ....SLACKWARE , as opposite to CRAPBUNTU is not "replaced" every 6 months....
        some of use like to use software from current decade... It's not like even basic software is feature complete (for example: pdf readers)

You use only emacs/vim with ratpoison on 4-5 year old hardware, good, I'm sure it works great for you and not having software updates, beside security stuff, is not a problem. But I've got news for you: not everybody has the same needs.

BTW: Ubuntu upgrade process is quite solid (compared to Windows, it's rock solid), so you're really barking up the wrong tree.

Comment

Originally posted by dsmithhfx View Post
          Well, he forgot a few steps:

8. Pull hard drive without shutting down computer.
          9. Throw hard drive at wall.
          10. Krazy-glue "alternate copy of ubuntu" to hard drive, and hook up to car battery.
          I'm a software developer myself and I'm all for testing software. But in this case, I've to agree with dsmithhfx.

At some level most software will fail. And that 'testcase' consists of so much bullshit that throwing the hard drive against a wall is exactly on the same level.

Comment

Originally posted by dsmithhfx View Post
            Why would anyone do that?
            #3 on the list:
            fullygeek.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, fullygeek.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

...aaaaand if you read the bug now it's clearly just because Ubuntu 12.10 doesn't shut down cleanly. Nothing to do with ext4 itself or the kernel at all.

I know it's fun to pull the AWOOGA lever, Michael, but maybe in future you might want to wait a few hours before leaping tall buildings to a single conclusion.

Comment

Move along, there's nothing to see here.

My comments are here:

Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

Comment

Sigh, Michael seems hellbent on spreading misinformation as long as it carries with it enough sensationalism to perhaps lead to more clicks.

I can't see how it can be worth alienating lots of open source developers without which Michael would have nothing to report. I'm also sure I'm not the only one who has turned on adblock on Phoronix due to Michael's propensity not only to engage in extremely slanted reporting but sometimes what seems like outright disinformation that goes way beyond adding a 'catchy soundbite'.

Phoronix as a concept has much promise, in practice I find it becoming the equivalent of an utter trash tabloid. I'm not expecting in-depth technological articles since that is obviously not where Michael's strengths lie. I would however wish for something atleast approaching an objective reporting rather than the 'let's-see-what-crazy-spin-we-can-put-on-this' dishonesty we are often served now.

Comment

Originally posted by tomato View Post
                    some of use like to use software from current decade... It's not like even basic software is feature complete (for example: pdf readers)

You use only emacs/vim with ratpoison on 4-5 year old hardware, good, I'm sure it works great for you and not having software updates, beside security stuff, is not a problem. But I've got news for you: not everybody has the same needs.

BTW: Ubuntu upgrade process is quite solid (compared to Windows, it's rock solid), so you're really barking up the wrong tree.

LOL, more crazy mumbling from you...i really gonna only answer this last time...you are completely CLUELESS and biased about nowdays SLACWARE....

emacs/vim ?!? WTF ?!? I use mousepad or leafpad or whatever in SLACKWARE , i NEVER in my life used emacs or vim

ratpoison ?!? is not even included in SLACKWARE !!! i used to use KDE but now i use XFCE
                    ....and YES, i also can use MATE in Slackware !!! Only two commands in the terminal and slapt-get will take care of it...

Talking about slapt-get...NO software updates ?1? i guess you never heard of slapt-get that just works as apt-get
                    ....and yes, it also works in conjunction with 3rd party SLACKWARE package repos like SLACKY

UBUNTU upgrades are more solid compared to Window$ ? and WHERE i said otherwise ?!?
                    That doesn't mean that in both cases s**t can't happen as my own experience confirmed long ago...

There are some people that seemed brainwashed and still believe in myths about SLACKWARE or else are simply CLUELESS about it....you are one of them.

...but be my guess and continue to believe in all those myths
                    Last edited by AJSB; 02 November 2012, 03:10 AM.

Comment

Can we stop spreading FUD, this bug is just as much of an insane edge case as the other "corruption bug"

Two ridiculous edge cases, with ridiculous steps to reproduce makes ext4 'unreliable'? Give me a fucking break.

Comment

Working...
                      X