Thread: Hybrid Graphics In Ubuntu Are Still Lackluster

Default Hybrid Graphics In Ubuntu Are Still Lackluster

Phoronix: Hybrid Graphics In Ubuntu Are Still Lackluster

Hybrid graphics support for Ubuntu and Linux in general still leaves a lot to be desired. There's some improvements on the horizon, fortunately...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIxOTM

Shouldn't the title be "Hybrid Graphics In Linux Are Still Lackluster" ?

The support in place even in the bleededge is still experimental, or atleast that's the impression Phoronix has given me of the sitution. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'd love to play around with a distro with hybrid support with the FOSS drivers.

I'm happy enough that I can finally easily switch between discrete and integrated with the Catalyst, although not automatically (I'm still not convinced by this feature, since I can often hear gamers complaining about this automation not working properly and leading to bad frame rates).

Canonical with its gaming platform plans can just make a deal with Nvidia and patch its kernels so Nvidia lawyers would be happy at last and let Optimus be a part of their binary driver. Still these GPL_ONLY symbols are nonsense anyway and won't make any difference in a court.

Quote Originally Posted by chelobaka View Post
    Canonical with its gaming platform plans can just make a deal with Nvidia and patch its kernels so Nvidia lawyers would be happy at last and let Optimus be a part of their binary driver. Still these GPL_ONLY symbols are nonsense anyway and won't make any difference in a court.
    Like the lawsuit Microsoft lost for using XML "for Manipulating the Architecture and the Content of a Document Separately from Each Other"
    Oh, and I'm sure Nvidia wants its driver to be blacklisted for that reason alone too

Canonical with its gaming platform would be best vested in creating their own non-GPL-exclusive alternative, instead of just half-assing themselves and using another as its own. It would be even a greater mess if people starting coming up with their own rules, after all, if you are not happy just fork the kernel or just "fork you".

and the fact its not rendering is an Ubuntu issue, I think i've pointed them at the patch at least 5 times now, in the 5 mins it took to write the complaint they could have just merged the patch to their server.

It'll be in 1.13.1 as soon as the new stable maintainer finds his feet.

Dave.

Hey Michael, way to misrepresent and forget to cite my hybrid graphics spec for 13.04. You did a copy and paste.

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubu...ybrid-graphics

FLOSS hybrid support in Spring should be great. Nvidia has their own issues to deal with.
    Last edited by LLStarks; 11-01-2012 at 06:19 PM.

I'd love to play around with a distro
    Last edited by Speirs68; 11-22-2012 at 10:15 PM.