Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Wants More Games Running On OpenGL ES

Phoronix: Ubuntu Wants More Games Running On OpenGL ES

Now that Ubuntu's been ported to the Google Nexus 7 and there's other interesting Ubuntu work going into the tablet/mobile-space, developers want more open-source games ported to using OpenGL ES rather than the full OpenGL stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Am I the only one seeing a lot of talk from the Ubuntu camp but very little action over all of this?

Now, raising an issue can be valuable in of itself, but Ubuntu always seems to talk a lot and yet accomplish very little on it's own.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
      Am I the only one seeing a lot of talk from the Ubuntu camp but very little action over all of this?

Now, raising an issue can be valuable in of itself, but Ubuntu always seems to talk a lot and yet accomplish very little on it's own.
      You're wrong, they planned to use wayland as a system compositor for 12.10 and did so, their phone/tablet/kitchen sink versions are a hit, the desktop users are all using their cloud-related (amazon sponsored) crap err technology, compiz is the fastest and bug-free compositor around etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        You're wrong, they planned to use wayland as a system compositor for 12.10 and did so, their phone/tablet/kitchen sink versions are a hit, the desktop users are all using their cloud-related (amazon sponsored) crap err technology, compiz is the fastest and bug-free compositor around etc etc
        Canonical has also been the main contributor to many of these open source projects for years, especially for projects such as compiz, llvmpipe, wayland and others that they're highly dependent on should they want to succeed.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
          Canonical has also been the main contributor to many of these open source projects for years, especially for projects such as compiz, llvmpipe, wayland and others that they're highly dependent on should they want to succeed.
          No it has not. Canonical hasn't done much of any developement on Wayland or Mesa (and llvmpipe). Wayland is mainly developed by Intel and Collabora and Mesa is by Intel, Red Hat, AMD and some others. They did employ the lead (and only) Compiz developer though. Could you list some projects that they have actually done some real contributions to?

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
            No it has not. Canonical hasn't done much of any developement on Wayland or Mesa (and llvmpipe). Wayland is mainly developed by Intel and Collabora and Mesa is by Intel, Red Hat, AMD and some others. They did employ the lead (and only) Compiz developer though. Could you list some projects that they have actually done some real contributions to?
            Just read my post again and the one I replied to.

Comment

Nice to see OP mentioned as a source for GLES work.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
                Just read my post again and the one I replied to.
                You being sarcastic there matey?

Comment

They mention all sorts of gaming related projects but not drivers.
                  Remember people, drivers are essential for this to work. All hardware that is new enough should have a driver that can do OpenGL ES 2.
                  Should allow adoption.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                    You being sarcastic there matey?
                    Why of course. I thought it was overwhelming.

Comment

Working...
                    X