No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Wants More Games Running On OpenGL ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I am not mistaken OpenGL ES is needed for Wayland, so maybe it's also a way to push for Wayland compatibility too.

Comment

I hope that games woud use OpenGL 4 instead of DirectX 11.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
        Why of course. I thought it was overwhelming.
        The one thing I've learn't about the internet is never DARE say anything sarcastic online without using a suitable emoticon

Comment

Originally posted by Rigaldo View Post
          If I am not mistaken OpenGL ES is needed for Wayland, so maybe it's also a way to push for Wayland compatibility too.
          No, Wayland doesn't require OpenGL ES. I believe the Weston compositor may use ES 2.0 internally, but applications running on Wayland are free to render using whatever API they wish. Which is good, because otherwise modern GL 3.x/GL 4.x games could never run on it.

Personally, I would rather see games begin to take advantage of the newer features of OpenGL 3.x and 4.x which allow them to advance the state of the art, so to speak, employing new rendering techniques and programming the GPU more efficiently. ES 2.x is five years old and has a number of frustrating limitations. Really the only advantage is that you can run on Android today or on mobile hardware that doesn't support desktop GL. On desktop Linux, there's basically zero point to using it.

ES 3.0 is a lot more interesting to me: it's essentially full OpenGL 3.3 minus geometry shaders. I suspect we'll begin to see mobile hardware that supports ES 3 in the next year or two (my personal guess, I have no idea), at which point targeting ES 2 is a lot less interesting. Oh, and porting from GL 3.x's core profile to ES 3 should involve practically zero effort...
          Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
          Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

0 A.D. has some support for OpenGL ES, see http://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/AndroidPort#Graphics .

Comment

Yeah, I guess they suggested ES 2.0 for old hardware, but mostly mobile compatibility.
              I had the impression that Wayland used OpenGL ES for it's compositor .. May be mistaken though ..
              I agree, newer OpenGL is definitely better for the desktop. Hope game makers make the wise decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Rigaldo View Post
                Yeah, I guess they suggested ES 2.0 for old hardware, but mostly mobile compatibility.
                I had the impression that Wayland used OpenGL ES for it's compositor .. May be mistaken though ..
                I agree, newer OpenGL is definitely better for the desktop. Hope game makers make the wise decisions.
                Weston uses ES 2.0, but i don't think there is anything in the wayland spec that requires other compositors to use any particular graphics API.

Comment

Finally, a CRAPBUNTU initiative/whatever_you_want_to_call_it with witch i FULLY AGREE.

OpenGL ES is special important for ARM SoC's in special because, AFAIK, they don't support very well or at all OpenGL but support OpenGL ES (correct me if i'm wrong....i have not a deep knowledge of ARM SoC's)...

In special it will be interesting for machines like the new ODROID-X2 and also for the ArndaleBoard-based MiniPC (dunno if they will do it at all in special at the intended price target !)

Notice that ODROID-X and ODROID-X2 can (now) (re)compile inboard (even a new kernel , IIRC)

Comment

Working...
                  X