Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: Wine-Based CrossOver Software To Be Free Tomorrow

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealNC View Post
    Once I buy something, I expect it to work forever. I would need to be a total idiot to even consider buying something that essentially tells me that I didn't buy it but just leased it.

    No, thanks.
    Just for sake of curiosity, check any production oriented CAD or CAM software...

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    379

    Default

    The only proper games supported by CodeWeaver are Diablo3 and WoW.

    For the 500 other titles in the list is a forum, where users can help users...

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by disi View Post
    The only proper games supported by CodeWeaver are Diablo3 and WoW.
    That is simply not true. This is a list of games that are officially supported:

    Baseball Mogul 2012 and 2013
    Call of Duty 2
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
    Civilization IV and V
    Counter-Strike: Source
    Day of Defeat
    Day of Defeat: Source
    Diablo III
    EVE Online
    Guild Wars
    Half-Life2 & Episodes 1 and 2
    Jade Dynasty
    Left 4 Dead
    Left 4 Dead 2
    National Mah Jongg League Online
    Peggle Deluxe
    Portal
    RIFT
    Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine
    Spore
    Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty
    Star Trek Online
    Team Fortress 2
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    Wizard 101
    World of Warcraft

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by who_me View Post
    That is simply not true. This is a list of games that are officially supported:

    Baseball Mogul 2012 and 2013
    Call of Duty 2
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
    Civilization IV and V
    Counter-Strike: Source
    Day of Defeat
    Day of Defeat: Source
    Diablo III
    EVE Online
    Guild Wars
    Half-Life2 & Episodes 1 and 2
    Jade Dynasty
    Left 4 Dead
    Left 4 Dead 2
    National Mah Jongg League Online
    Peggle Deluxe
    Portal
    RIFT
    Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine
    Spore
    Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty
    Star Trek Online
    Team Fortress 2
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    Wizard 101
    World of Warcraft
    OK some more. Funny enough, DDO is listed as TOP 25 applications and not supported
    The current installation script will install the game and thankfully all the .NET and other winetricks stuff. The pylotro client (whereever that went) doesn't work. Do I installed it manually then had to rename the prefix/bottle folder to something without spaces in the file name in order to patch the client. After that everything is as if I would have used normal wine?

    Does crossover actual use the OS version of wine or its own?
    I mean I start the game with the normal pyloro client, which uses the system Python interpreter. That client would use the wine binary installed on the system I assume and not some Crossover patched version.

    So the only advantage is to have all the winetricks dependencies installed by the installation script in Crossover.

    //edit:
    and what are these files for in the prefix:
    cxassoc.conf cxbottle.conf cxmenu.conf cxnsplugin.conf
    Maybe I just start the application the wrong way?
    Last edited by disi; 11-01-2012 at 03:08 PM.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    67

    Default

    If you installed the pylotro client in the same bottle then that would use codeweaver's version of wine.

    The advantage is that by buying Crossover you get to fund further development of wine, you get an easy way to install quite a hefty bunch of windows programs and you get access to support from the devs if something breaks the functionality of a supported application.

    Fun fact: Since you mentioned Diablo 3 as one of the worthwhile games that have official support, do you know how it came to be that wine and Crossover got the ability to run it? It's because Blizzard gave early beta access to Codeweavers so that they could work on that. Of course, you can choose to believe me or not. It's fine either way.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by who_me View Post
    If you installed the pylotro client in the same bottle then that would use codeweaver's version of wine.

    The advantage is that by buying Crossover you get to fund further development of wine, you get an easy way to install quite a hefty bunch of windows programs and you get access to support from the devs if something breaks the functionality of a supported application.

    Fun fact: Since you mentioned Diablo 3 as one of the worthwhile games that have official support, do you know how it came to be that wine and Crossover got the ability to run it? It's because Blizzard gave early beta access to Codeweavers so that they could work on that. Of course, you can choose to believe me or not. It's fine either way.
    The installation script installed a Windows version of pylotro: into the prefix (pylotro.exe)
    So how would I start that without using the system wine version?

    I could run it like :
    /opt/cxoffice/bin/wine /bla/bla/pylotro.exe
    To use the codeweaver wine version...

    Or create a simlink /usr/bin/wine to /opt/cxoffice/bin/wine
    So I would know how to work around it, but that shouldn't be default?
    Last edited by disi; 11-01-2012 at 04:21 PM.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Pylotro should have been installed in the same bottle where lotro was installed. You have the ability to change that just before installing.

    If PyLotro was installed in it's own bottle (or prefix) then it would still use codeweaver's version of wine. Want to check it? Uninstall wine. If you are right, PyLotro should not be able to run

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by who_me View Post
    Pylotro should have been installed in the same bottle where lotro was installed. You have the ability to change that just before installing.

    If PyLotro was installed in it's own bottle (or prefix) then it would still use codeweaver's version of wine. Want to check it? Uninstall wine. If you are right, PyLotro should not be able to run
    Jupp, you are right.

    I went back to wine now. Crossover turns off the external monitor (I want to play on) and starts the game on the laptop screen. Changes both resolutions and then when you come out of the game, it leaves it at the game resolution.
    With stock wine-1.5.13 on the radeon driver I get ~20 fps more, tested in the exact same area (~30-40 instead of 10-20) with the same settings folder for graphic in the game.

    And the game isn't supported anyway.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •