Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 42

Thread: Ubuntu Developers Realize Need For Non-3D Desktop

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rural Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pallidus View Post
    THE FACT IS KID
    Big words for someone who has admitted they only "jumped into linux a few months ago".

    Quote Originally Posted by Pallidus View Post
    linux is, or should be, supposed to be used by a specific type of user.
    Well, excuse me, I have been using Linux for well over a decade in some form or another, and have been using it as my main and only desktop for over five years. I have been in this community a lot longer than you have, and yet I see you now coming over here and telling people how to use their Linux systems because you are some kind of saint. But you are not even arguing on moral or pragmatic grounds, but just with screeds of personal opinion.

    Take a chill pill, enjoy your nice LXDE desktop (as I said, I like LXDE too) and calm down. Your antics are just not worth it.
    Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 10-31-2012 at 12:26 PM.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Basement
    Posts
    389

    Default BooBoo you are wrong wrong wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by Pallidus View Post
    Do you think rhel will ever EVER even touch gnome 3? fuck no
    Dear Sire. It is my noble duty to inform you that you are DEAD WRONG. Fuck yes rhel is going to use g3.
    http://www.asheesh.org/note/software...7-gnome-3.html

    Cry it out and get on with your life.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
    Still, I do not really see the point in cutting down KDE by turning off the desktop effects, widgets, and the like just to end up with what is in basics Xfce.
    Correction: Not Xfce, but Razor-Qt

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    SuperUserLand
    Posts
    535

    Default

    chamber: " And what kind of stereotypical person would that be?"

    1. a professional enterprise user (sys admin or network professional, etc etc etc)

    2. someone that wants information technologies and computer science to advance in an open and non commercial manner.

    3. someone that hates multinational corporations and their control over IT infrastructure.

    4. someone that cares about open source and free and secure software


    You see in NONE of those categories there is room for 'retarded gamer' that stays in his basement all day catching pikachus or warcafting or minecrafting like a fuckin loser.

    You wanna play games? you wanna be a mindless consumer of proprietary software FUCK OFF TO WINDOWS.

    The great mistake everyone in phoronix makes is thinking steam will be some kind of panacea and will bring hordes of windows users to linux.

    ______________


    So you are judging gnome's perfomance in a windows native program being run on emulation software? that's rich.


    I can tell you by my setup, debian with lxde, that EVERYTHING from streaming html5 to h264 encoding is faster

    If I go to a multimedia heavy page I never seen such smooth scrolling, EVEN compared with discrete gfx under windows.

    You know what it's like to have vlc, clementine a million tabs open thunderbird etc etc etc and experience silk immediate response? I doubt it because even on an i5 I didn't see this perfomance with g 3.4... but hey at least is a step up from unity, I give you that


    Now if rhel goes with gnome 3 they are going to alienate A LOT of their user base and it's quite frankly a retarded decision to make...

    cinamon would be a better choice, mate or a themed up lxde would also prove much more functional on a enterprise environment bu hey I don't have red hat stock so what do I care?


    Someone mentioned that gnome is already apt to run on the new windows 8 tablets etc... seeing as you can't even install linux on those tablets your argument is dead at the beach

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Basement
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pallidus View Post
    Now if rhel goes with gnome 3 they are going to alienate A LOT of their user base and it's quite frankly a retarded decision to make...

    .......

    Someone mentioned that gnome is already apt to run on the new windows 8 tablets etc... seeing as you can't even install linux on those tablets your argument is dead at the beach
    Reiteration of FACTS so even Pallidus will get it this time.

    Next rhel WILL get g3.
    Many laptops ship with touchscreens today. G3 (and unity) is prepared for this.

    If you cant deal with this go hide in your basement.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rural Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    Correction: Not Xfce, but Razor-Qt
    Actually, true.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pallidus
    You see in NONE of those categories there is room for 'retarded gamer' that stays in his basement all day catching pikachus or warcafting or minecrafting like a fuckin loser.
    Yeah, you must spend your day saving the planet and every second of everyday you spend on your computer benefits humanity. Yeah right.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pallidus
    You know what it's like to have vlc, clementine a million tabs open thunderbird etc etc etc and experience silk immediate response?
    Ah, so you use media players? Get off your computer and get a life; stop watching and listening to virtual imitations of the real world you mentally deficient anorak.*

    Quote Originally Posted by Pallidus View Post
    chamber: " And what kind of stereotypical person would that be?"

    1. a professional enterprise user (sys admin or network professional, etc etc etc)

    2. someone that wants information technologies and computer science to advance in an open and non commercial manner.

    3. someone that hates multinational corporations and their control over IT infrastructure.

    4. someone that cares about open source and free and secure software
    And Gnome does not fit this how?

    **And in case someone does not understand this on their own, I am imitating him and not agreeing with with him, okay?

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pallidus View Post
    Do you think rhel will ever EVER even touch gnome 3? fuck no
    I might be terribly missinformed ... But I thought that Red Hat played an integral part on Gnome's development(Gnome 3 too). So .. Do the math?

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    7

    Default

    4th uninteresting piece of news of the day related to Ubuntu. Enough already.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    SuperUserLand
    Posts
    535

    Default

    I'm so pro I'm a let some random writer verbally rape all your arguments:

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/04/state_of_gnome/

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pallidus View Post
    You see in NONE of those categories there is room for 'retarded gamer' that stays in his basement all day catching pikachus or warcafting or minecrafting like a fuckin loser.

    You wanna play games? you wanna be a mindless consumer of proprietary software FUCK OFF TO WINDOWS.

    The great mistake everyone in phoronix makes is thinking steam will be some kind of panacea and will bring hordes of windows users to linux.
    And who the fuck are you to say that?. If you don't game, you don't know shit about gamers.

    Just because you're a communist hipster doesn't mean that Linux isn't an OS for everyone, who want to use all kinds of software, included software that costs MILLIONS OF DOLLARS to produce, money the open source community can't spend, because of logical reasons. I'm running 2 PC's with Arch right now, XFCE and KDE 4, I game on the one with KDE, I can do whatever the fuck I want on that one except gaming. And everything it does it fast.

    I buy games, but I want to run them on a superior OS. OS's and games are very different things when it comes to source code philosophy. An open operating system, with thousands of people around the world making it better in different amounts, where everyone knows what he's running, is better than one where only one company calls the shots, and offers few options to its users.

    Games, on the other hand, just can't be done properly by big communities. Not all types of games. Games like Skyrim, Guild Wars 2, World of Warcraft, just to name a few, NEED VERY organized teams in order for its quality to be up to expectations. Not to mention that their respective teams need to dedicate loads of effort on different assets in order to get the done fast enough with the expected quality.

    Now do the math. Companies need money in order to make good games. We give them the money, they profit, we get a good game. What's wrong about that?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •