Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Developers Realize Need For Non-3D Desktop

Hybrid View

Default Ubuntu Developers Realize Need For Non-3D Desktop

Phoronix: Ubuntu Developers Realize Need For Non-3D Desktop

For Ubuntu 12.10 Canonical decided to abandon the Unity 2D desktop and just only support the standard Unity desktop with Compiz. When there isn't a proper OpenGL/3D driver available, LLVMpipe is used for running the GL commands on the CPU. This move caused lots of upset Ubuntu Linux users and the developers are now looking at what to do for a desktop that doesn't require 3D support...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIxNzg

Twas about time Ubuntu embraced a real desktop.

Good one!

So they had a perfectly fine 2D version of Unity... got rid of it...

Now they need one again.

4th uninteresting piece of news of the day related to Ubuntu. Enough already.

Default Retarted

LXDE is a whole desktop environment.
    So they're going to use a whole different desktop environment as a fallback?
    Wow, that is just retarded!

They should just use the GNOME Fallback session instead.

They got rid of Unity2D because the Qt stuff they were using was getting depreciated in the future, afaik.

My *phone* (HTC Incredible) has 3d acceleration. My phone before *that* (Motorola Droid) has 3d acceleration. My next phone is likely to be the Nexus 4. It has 3d acceleration. If you're looking to run Ubuntu on something less powerful than a 3-years old cell phone, maybe you should look at a command line interface.

Quote Originally Posted by ethana2 View Post
    My *phone* (HTC Incredible) has 3d acceleration. My phone before *that* (Motorola Droid) has 3d acceleration. My next phone is likely to be the Nexus 4. It has 3d acceleration. If you're looking to run Ubuntu on something less powerful than a 3-years old cell phone, maybe you should look at a command line interface.
    Well, while this is true ethana, don't forget about this thing called "demanding games". It's something we haven't seen for a good while, and will probably be seeing a lot in the future, and there's a lot of pressure on Canonical so these games run well. It doesn't matter what computer you have, Compiz/KWin/insert 3D environment or WM here: IS a performance hit.

So is using Win 8's effects and whatever Mac has. Every OS is advancing in it's interfaces, and 2D isn't cutting it.

They are working on improving the 3D performance already - and they've made strides - I'm playing OilRush on highest visuals on my 560 without a problem. Going back to 2D wouldn't be progress.

This Lubuntu thing isn't for users either - Lubuntu was there for users of old hardware already. It's for making Ubuntu apps easier to test for devs in VMs.

I thought that as long as you are Undirecting Fullscreen Windows (and of course, running fullscreen. Not always possible or desirable, I know) that compositing wasn't really always a big deal. I've always just noticed the hits when I've had to run a game in a window. In KDE of course, thankfully I can just switch off Compositing completely with Shift-Alt-F12 and vice versa.