Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Sees Need To Improve Unity's Performance

Phoronix: Ubuntu Sees Need To Improve Unity's Performance

As part of the push to make Ubuntu a competitive gaming platform, developers at Canonical and within the Ubuntu community will be working to improve the Unity desktop and Compiz window manager performance for Ubuntu 13.04...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Bloat

Maybe Unity would be faster if they cut some bloat such as that adware and spyware?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Maybe Unity would be faster if they cut some bloat such as that adware and spyware?
      actually no. this would have absolutely no impact.

they should better ditch this bad coded compiz shit.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Sure it would be better if it was opt-in rather than opt-out, but I feel this statement is very hyperbolic. Also the shopping lens runs on a seperate thread and does not slow down the other dash results.

Something I'd like to see in future releases of ubuntu is a control panel for lenses, where you could easily enable/disable each lens and/or enable/disable the ability for each lens to go online (instead of the current online killswitch we have that just disables all online lenses). I recall seeing some mockups for this on the ubuntu mailing lists, so maybe we will see something like that in the future.

Comment

enabling Compiz unredirected rendering on full-screen windows by default. However, the unredirected full-screen window rendering by default will not happen automatically for Nouveau and Intel drivers due to bugs.
          My understanding was that the bug with Intel and Nouveau was the reasons this was not enabled by default in earlier releases.

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
          Something I'd like to see in future releases of ubuntu is a control panel for lenses, where you could easily enable/disable each lens and/or enable/disable the ability for each lens to go online (instead of the current online killswitch we have that just disables all online lenses). I recall seeing some mockups for this on the ubuntu mailing lists, so maybe we will see something like that in the future.
          +1

Comment

Compiz is really the least stable component on my system. I would love for Canonical to improve it's performance and stability or just plain replace it!

Comment

This to me is one of Canonical's biggest issues, especially if they are targeting mobile devices. It seems to me you need at least a semi-decent computer to run Unity anywhere near satisfactorily.

They need to focus heavily on optimization and try getting Unity/Compiz to run smooth and consistently like the Elementary guys have done with Pantheon/Gala.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Phoronix: Ubuntu Sees Need To Improve Unity's Performance

As part of the push to make Ubuntu a competitive gaming platform, developers at Canonical and within the Ubuntu community will be working to improve the Unity desktop and Compiz window manager performance for Ubuntu 13.04...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTIxNzY

Thank goodness Ubuntu wisely decided against using mutter as the compositor. Can you imagine how slow things would be if they'd stuck with mutter?

Comment

In all my years

Maybe next they'll realize the workflow is distracting.

Windows 7 wasn't as bad but I had a hard time returning to familiar ground:

Gnome 3 is just as distracting and let's face it that all these new interfaces are confused.

What exactly is the workflow new user interfaces are trying to capture?

I'm to the point now all I want is Nautilus 2.28, Awn tasker and decent drivers. Is that too much to ask for from opensource?

I can't even buy that from Microsoft anymore. Windows 8 confuses Confucius.

It took me the better part of 2 minutes to figure out how to get to the start button on Windows 8 at the local store.

2012, the end of the World Wide Web, Desktop, and Laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                    Thank goodness Ubuntu wisely decided against using mutter as the compositor. Can you imagine how slow things would be if they'd stuck with mutter?
                    Actually it would be faster. See current Gnome Shell benchmarks.

Comment

Working...
                    X