A Linux User's Perspective Of Microsoft Windows 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading the original article

I couldn't determine if he was reviewing Windows 8 or Ubuntu 12.10.

Generally, it would have been nice to hear about the usability: Navigation with respect to workflow based on how Unity and Gnome 2.28 work.

What about Windows 8 from a gaming standpoint? Did you find the graphics system got in the way of game performance?

It's about like me installing Ubuntu 12.10 and saying it froze up at the LDM window right as I was about to type my password.

Therefore it sucks and I install Slackware on it and it's better because I know how to install it.

Thanks!

Comment

Basically i would always do clean win installs and never upgrade. That's usally lost time to do so.
      Last edited by Michael504; 31 October 2012, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
        What about Windows 8 from a gaming standpoint? Did you find the graphics system got in the way of game performance?
        As I expected months ago, basically exactly the same as Win7, with a handful of reported bugs in specific titles with specific hardware. Given how 8 is built on top of 7, there should never have been any expectation of significant changes in application performance.

Comment

having had the chance of messing about with a windows tablet and a sony vaio with touch enabled

both with win8 preinstalled

I dare say that it does suit touch well.

For all that I red on the internet I was expecting a much more cumbersome experience.

The fact remains that it is well suited for the upcoming windows tablets and that's what ms is gambling on

Comment

My father bought a laptop with Windows 8 preinstalled. My home router has mac filtering. I spent an HOUR looking for the mac address of the laptop wireless card, I felt very frustrated.

How I found the mac address? Going to the desktop, window key + R, cmd, ipconfig /all. Maybe it's my fault for not knowing how to get the mac address in an easy way, I'm an unexperienced windows user (8 years using GNU/Linux), but what about a person that it's the first time he uses a computer? Doesn't it supposed to be windows 8 an easy experience?

Comment

Originally posted by Otamay View Post
              My father bought a laptop with Windows 8 preinstalled. My home router has mac filtering. I spent an HOUR looking for the mac address of the laptop wireless card, I felt very frustrated.

How I found the mac address? Going to the desktop, window key + R, cmd, ipconfig /all. Maybe it's my fault for not knowing how to get the mac address in an easy way, I'm an unexperienced windows user (8 years using GNU/Linux), but what about a person that it's the first time he uses a computer? Doesn't it supposed to be windows 8 an easy experience?
              Oh, come on, if you are smart enough to have a MAC filtering router and use it then you are smart enough to http://is.gd/Uz6rx6
              Normal lusers (see what I did here?) that fit the Windows friendly framework thing have normal (insecure yeah) routers that accept any MAC, so they don't ever have that problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Licaon View Post
                Oh, come on, if you are smart enough to have a MAC filtering router and use it then you are smart enough to http://is.gd/Uz6rx6
                Normal lusers (see what I did here?) that fit the Windows friendly framework thing have normal (insecure yeah) routers that accept any MAC, so they don't ever have that problem.
                Jeje, I was avoiding the use of the command line, that's what the windows users blame about gnu/linux os. The hardware information is something that is basic to know even for a normal user, and not even in the Windows Device Manager (,where there are vendor and device id, for example) the MAC address could be found.

Comment

Originally posted by Otamay View Post
                  but what about a person that it's the first time he uses a computer? Doesn't it supposed to be windows 8 an easy experience?
                  Well, 1st time persons are unlikely to have mac filetering on their router. In fact they often forgot to setup wi-fi network key and/or leaving routers using defaults. Which leads to "free wi-fi for everyone" or easy network hacking.

On other hand, network information in XP has been in more visible place. Then in vista and win7 MS hidden it further, hence regression. I guess in win8 it isn't anyhow improved either.

Windows is friendly only if you don't try advanced stuff and some experienced technician configured it for you. Else it's just another OS and ton of marketing. If you'll configure any other OS (be it some Linux or whatever you're competent in) for some non-technical user and allow them to use it it would be just as user friendly (granted that technician is able to setup OS for usual user tasks). Basically, windows is bad for advanced users (as it quite hostile to automation/commandline usage/etc) and win8 is just awkward on it's own (to my taste win8 appearance is far worse than it has been in win7).

And another part: if some non-technical user will try to reinstall windows, soon they got stuck with half of devices failing to work properly. Because installing drivers in windows isn't really friendly and could be hard enough. Especially granted poor quality of some drivers and/or their installers.

Comment

@Otamay

The way you mentioned works since ages, most likely since win95 or nt. If you want to use Linux on the same box you have to get rid of suspend 2 disk (hibernate in ms speach) which is default now, same way for cmd then: "powercfg -h off" - i never looked for a menu to find that, much faster that way. Btw. mac filtering is pointless. It is just a waste of time to enable it, mac adresses are always shown in traffic so in monitor mode you see that without problems. As you can change the mac within seconds thats no security improvement. Better enable only wpa2+aes(ccmp) with a longer passphrase.

Comment

• Originally posted by Licaon View Post
                      I often use the arp cache, so I don't have to touch the computer/printer/server etc. at all. Given you are on the same link
                      ping blabla
                      arp -a
                      Those are basic DOS commands.

Comment

Working...
                      X