No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Looks To An SDK, Improved App Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uh huh. That extra second you spend launching the app obviously matters so much.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
      We need a Visual Studio alternative for Linux.
      Good luck with that. Most people will just point you to Eclipse, Code::blocks, or Qt Creator then return to their Vim or Emacs without bothering to notice that none of the free solutions come close to the functionality of Visual Studio.

Comment

I'll never understand what people see in Visual Studio.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
          You probably never used it then. It does a really good job on the _integrated_ part of IDE and is also usually quite fast and easy on resources (compared to other IDE, something like plain vi/emacs is obviously easier on resources ;-)).

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
            It's the little things that unimaginative people caught up in supporting their favorite text editors miss.

Build errors? Right click on the output message -> go to location
            Where is a Function defined? Right click on the function -> go to definition

Comment

IDE

IDE part is easy, just use Eclipse! I found latest iterations to be great. Today, in time where almost every developer can afford i7 and 16GB RAM, major shortcomings of Eclipse (startup time and memory usage) are non-issues. Android plugin for Eclipse is great, you can do create whole app with it, including GUI, packaging and publishing. What I see as a major problem is language. C/C++ is IMHO too low level for app development of current times (2012), Python would need really good hotspot VM, and I don't think Canonical has resources for that. I would go with Java with some great Linux/GTK integration, which is basically what Android did with Dalvik, if you think about it. Of course, in case of Java, they would need agreement with Oracle, that cover everything and everybody until eternity.

Comment

Originally posted by mirza View Post
                IDE part is easy, just use Eclipse! I found latest iterations to be great. Today, in time where almost every developer can afford i7 and 16GB RAM, major shortcomings of Eclipse (startup time and memory usage) are non-issues.
                These are not non-issues, it is just a lesser evil. You should not tend to go crazy and take direct advantage of improved computer-performance, as these grown ressources should rather benefit actual computation instead of getting cut in the interest of a bloated DE like Eclipse.

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post
                  These are not non-issues, it is just a lesser evil. You should not tend to go crazy and take direct advantage of improved computer-performance, as these grown ressources should rather benefit actual computation instead of getting cut in the interest of a bloated DE like Eclipse.
                  The thing with Eclipse and netbeans etc is that many windows and mac developer allready use them. Few learn a ubuntu specific (or linux specifik but as we speak about a Ubuntu specifik SDK...) IDE if you allready use Eclipse. If your work is development the cost for a decent computer that run Eclipse with decent speed is nothing.
                  Last edited by Akka; 31 October 2012, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                    Good luck with that. Most people will just point you to Eclipse, Code::blocks, or Qt Creator then return to their Vim or Emacs without bothering to notice that none of the free solutions come close to the functionality of Visual Studio.
                    I hugely prefer Qt Creator to Visual Studio. I would be equally fine with Visual Studio or Eclipse (I don't really like either) I haven't tried Code::blocks or Kdevelop, so I can't comment on those.

I don't see why everyone makes a big deal about visual studio, IMO it isn't that great of an IDE.

Comment

Kdevelop is a good IDE if you use c++ or c. The code processing is excellent and fairly intelligent and it decent light. The only IDE i have got to parse most of the kernel code with decent performance on my 6 years old hp nx 7400 laptop.

Comment

Working...
                      X