Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Looks To An SDK, Improved App Development

Phoronix: Ubuntu Looks To An SDK, Improved App Development

Canonical and the Ubuntu development community hope to improve application development for developers targeting Ubuntu 13.04...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I only hope they don't push the Python sh#t, the core apps like software updater and software center are written in a scripted language. Canonical, get serious please and hire devs who're not afraid of pointers.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      I only hope they don't push the Python sh#t, the core apps like software updater and software center are written in a scripted language. Canonical, get serious please and hire devs who're not afraid of pointers.
      I really don't know what you have against python. It is a full-featured and widely used language with excellent library support.

Comment

Yes it is, but being a scripted language it sucks for anything except scripts, not full featured sophisticated stuff.
        A script spends extra time & CPU cycles on launching & initializing an interpreter, feeding it the stuff and executing under-optimized compiled code, part of the code will be interpreted anyway (Java doesn't compile anything either) - and all this extra effort happens any time you launch a scripted app. For small scripts it almost doesn't matter, but for big apps like the software center it's obvious - of course not anyone notices it, some people are so stupid they won't notice an elephant in a room.
        To a great extent same is true about Java, except that Java uses a lot more memory.
        Last edited by mark45; 28 October 2012, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Uh huh. That extra second you spend launching the app obviously matters so much.

Comment

VALA

THEY HAVE TO PUSH VALA!
            Sry for the caps. But srsly, Vala is the only sane choice in my opinion.
            Its easy to use(as easy as Java, C#), yet it does not run in a runtime environment, it is converted to C+GObject Code and then compiled and is therefore supported on all platforms with GObject libs.

Hopefully there will be a good IDE pushed, Geany would be great!

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowBane View Post
              I really don't know what you have against python. It is a full-featured and widely used language with excellent library support.
              If you have actually used Ubuntu, you will notice how incredibly laggy their Python apps are. Startup time in particular.

Does not give a good image of Python.

Comment

You worry about Python? How about worrying about not being able to run Ubuntu software on non-Ubuntu distros instead? If Ubuntu introduces an SDK, this will in effect mean that it's not a Linux distribution anymore. It will be more like a new operating system, and software targeting it will not run on "normal" Linux distributions, including Debian.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  You worry about Python? How about worrying about not being able to run Ubuntu software on non-Ubuntu distros instead? If Ubuntu introduces an SDK, this will in effect mean that it's not a Linux distribution anymore. It will be more like a new operating system, and software targeting it will not run on "normal" Linux distributions, including Debian.
                  This is _exactly_ what I wanted to point out, too. We do already have the big problem that some Ubuntu Software packages don't work in other distros (due to, let's call them, "Ubuntu-Hacks").
                  If Canonical really decided to go this way, I would have nothing left for their Operating System. On the other hand, it is enlightening to hear that Arch (even though I don't like it very much) is constantly growing on a free software-basis without too immediate corporate interests fulfilled, which provides a great alternative to Ubuntu.

Comment

It must be LSB compatible alike google has done with google earth. Anything else is antediluvian and should be trashed immediately.

Comment

Working...
                    X