The First GNOME 3.8 Development Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    Does anyone, even just one person, anywhere, on the whole planet, actually use epiphany?
    Yes, users that runs on XO laptop series with recent release of Sugar 0.96 based on Fedora 17.

Comment

It seems a long way before we can finally see the client-side decorations in GTK+...

Comment

nice owncloud support finaly... saw it in the todo list for 3.8 but that it is done in 3.7.1 is great so they have time enough to make it really stable and good for 3.8 not such a preview version like gnome-boxes in the first version.

Comment

Seemingly gnome-improvements in the gnome-developer's sense is rather a reduction of flexibility and configurability. They need to stop that and copying Canonical's strive to reduce the graphics-fallback to the horrible llvmpipe.
          Fortunately, we do have a choice contrary to the poor Windows 8 users. No wonder less and less people actually use Gnome on their desktops.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
            Does anyone, even just one person, anywhere, on the whole planet, actually use epiphany?
            yeh its a nice browser

Comment

Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
              yeh its a nice browser
              +1

It's good that WebKitGTK+ and ephiphany is improving further. It might be my primary browser soon.

Comment

Gnome-ScreenSaver, among others...

When oh, when will GSS will actually, well... Display Screen Saver programs? Yet there are available for the "system" a number of screen savers (RSS-GL included) to no avail, since they are pretty much useless with the current release. Plus, the control center almost 8 releases down the road is pretty much useless, with very limited functionality (sure it feels as an improvement in regards to the version shipped in Gnome 3.0, but still it lacks a TON!).

Comment

The Epiphany web-browser no longer allows you to disable JavaScript from the user-interface with the reasoning that JS is so widespread and dependent for most web-sites. "Remove JavaScript preference from the UI. Pretty much every single page the average user visits needs JavaScript, so this is a "Please break my web" preference in disguise. For those concerned about security and/or privacy the GSetting remains available."
                  that's one of the greatest bullshit explenations i ever heard and it is totally untrue! actually the VERY most part of the web works fine with js disabled. i very rarely meet websites where i need to enable it. though thanks to noscript, using it on firefox allows me to have it only enabled for this RARE cases.

i do not like this attitude with less and less customization options. imho it is the totally wrong way to go. i like the concept of gnome shell, but gnome feels going into useless with this attitude... sadly. it is really annoying to need installing and tweaking themes to change minor things usually being possible to change such things on every DE since any DE existed.

edit: for me personally there is not a real alternative to gnome. don't know how well kde works today. i "had to use" till late 3.x version and it was the most unstable and bloaded DE i ever used. tried an early 4.x version around 2 years ago only for a very short time on my htpc. can't tell if it got more stable but it was very power consuming and bloated. and i don't like xfce and the other lightweight DE. they all look too ugly for me, even with all the customizations i found available to them.
                  i just remember how it was using kde 2.x... it felt like using old windows. looked ugly, was somehow crashing every few days, trying to do everything its own stupid way... it was like enforcing all the windows mistakes on linux. we even called it at my university "the linux windows".
                  Last edited by a user; 26 October 2012, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
                    +1

It's good that WebKitGTK+ and ephiphany is improving further. It might be my primary browser soon.
                    i did ditch gnome in favour of mate though

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
                      When oh, when will GSS will actually, well... Display Screen Saver programs?
                      The last time I cared about screen savers was in the 90's.

Comment

Working...
                      X