A Proposal To Fix The Full-Screen Linux Window Mess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by del_diablo View Post
    But when do buffers swaps translate into real performance hit?
    Always?

10char

Comment

If a monitor is capable of changing the resolution of the incoming image to match its own native resolution, why should not a computer be able to scale images?
      Even better: The Emulation community has been scaling images for years, even with extremely performance lacking filters.

Comment

The solution mentioned above for Wayland, by Kazade, sounds best IMO and less problematic and would probably satisfy Martin as well.
        I'm very glad they're looking into it.
        Last edited by Michael504; 31 October 2012, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
          I'm with the people that wants it like it was done in AmigaOS. Why should a games resoultion have any impact on the desktop at all?
          It shouldn't.

If a game was to open a 640x480 fullscreen then a alt-tab to the desktop should change back to 1920x1080 or what the desktop now was running, or is there something fundamentally wrong with X11 in this regard so that this isn't possible?
          Agree 100%. Regardless of the resolution a fullscreen app is running in, and alt-tab should restore the desktop to whatever resolution it was set at prior to the app launching. [That being said, I've seen Windows much this up when dealing with super-low resolutions too...]

Originally posted by del_diablo View Post
          If a monitor is capable of changing the resolution of the incoming image to match its own native resolution, why should not a computer be able to scale images?
          Even better: The Emulation community has been scaling images for years, even with extremely performance lacking filters.
          My thoughts exactly. The emulation community has had image scaling filters for over a decade now, even with filters like HQ4x, which eat performance.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
            I believe that the KDE devs selected second option....
            Well I might give gnome a try.

Steam full screen also is a problem.
            I can clearly see that kde is messing things up. Disabling desktop effects for full screen does not help.

I do not seem to have problems in Teamfortress 2 though.
            But clicking full screen in steam makes it unusable, you can see steam and kde figthing.

I hope kde is reading this, its simple fix it, or I am gonna use a different desktop.
            If kde does not care about steam and games, I do not care about kde.

And if you think I am the only gamer on linux, check this out:

It needs to start somewhere. I'm using Archlinux and still enjoying it after they removed rc.conf. I don't use any proper DE. Compiz is my Window Manager and I borrow some apps from LXDE, XFCE and Gnome. That's a bit messy but I like it so far.

1,875 replies, from people who already have steam and linux.

Comment

Working...
            X