Raspberry Pi GPU Driver Turns Out To Be Crap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dogsleg View Post
    What s f@ck! They erasing comment from www.raspberrypi.org on their "openness". Liars!

Also they banned my IP to prevent me from commenting. I had to use Tor...

I've send them another comment and made a screenshot:

trolling the makers of a 30 euro computer for education

you should get 1. shame 2.life

many people either don't have a personal laptop or can't afford to test things with a personal laptop

what a 30 pound or euro soc allows them to do is do whatever they want without fear of bricking their expensive laptops

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Why would students need a Raspberry Pi, when they can just use their laptop or a normal computer in school lab?
      Why would they need a Raspberry Pi when they can use any Gumstix, Arduino, OMAP, Snapdragon, Allwinner, O-DROIDX, etc system-on-a-chip?

It's not like Raspberry Pi is the only soc, there are lots of other competition.
      RPI is meant to be CHEAP. So cheap that everybody can have one. All schools can have them for every computer laboratory they have. Etc. Other SoCs are usually targeted at business. Individual people are not "target". Though RPI is not only solution for individuals that is cheap. Its just that RPI made that category recognizable, and distinctive enough from "robust" SoCs.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        It's not like Raspberry Pi is the only soc, there are lots of other competition.
        Exactly. The RPi's only selling point is its price. But in fact, the RPi is *expensive* if you count the hours trying to get the damn thing stable, which turns out to be impossible because of hardware design problems (and I'm not even mentioning the whole firmware issue, or the crashy usb host driver). It takes a while to sink in, because all this is thoroughly censored over at raspberrypi.org, either by denial, blaming your power source or 'incompatible' USB kit, or outright forum bans.

Once you look beyond, you'll find other fora that will indicate not all is well in RPi land. See http://www.element14.com/community/thread/19436 for example.

IMHO, the RPi is dead and buried.

Comment

Originally posted by freedam View Post
          Imho the only over hype was made by Michael, the rasperry pi site only talks about "open source USERLAND", Michael talks about a misleading "full open source graphic stack"...
          boah ok I do not insult you here, even I want to, because I am very pissed by this asholes... so I insult them like I should ASHOLES, go to hell...

but you at least oversee that, and they did lie:

but it does actually mean that the BCM2835 used in the Raspberry Pi is the first ARM-based multimedia SoC with fully-functional, vendor-provided (as opposed to partial, reverse engineered) fully open-source drivers, and that Broadcom is the first vendor to open their mobile GPU drivers up in this way.
          again:

fully open-source drivers
          they said additionaly something about userspace some lines before that, so they said in your definition the truth and a big fuchin lie in on paragraph... so yes its allowed to be pissed of them. And at least, if you think that people are forgiving enough to you that you release a pseudo-free driver, with a firmware which anybody did know and is evil... but at least less evil you would think... then they just take all functionality to the firmware and make a wrapper around it basicly when I understand it right. Its just a pure marketing shit... in that defintion, you could even say that nvidia made some opensource drivers, because they released sourcecode to compile the kernel-stuff for other kernels...

Broadcom it could not be true...

Comment

Originally posted by dogsleg View Post
            Actually, not. Look at http://www.raspberrypi.org/. Quote:

(the second paragraph of "Open Source ARM Userland")

Michael just didn't check it and hurriedly published that "news" here.

Yeah, its a crap and epic fail for Raspberry Pi and Broadcom. They are liars! I was thinking about buying Raspberry Pi, but now I'll never ever want to. Let's see what Samsung (maybe with the help of Google) will propose us with their Exynos 5.
            Did you even read the part that you quoted??? Fucking trolls that can't even troll properly....

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
              boah ok I do not insult you here, even I want to, because I am very pissed by this asholes... so I insult them like I should ASHOLES, go to hell...

but you at least oversee that, and they did lie:

again:

they said additionaly something about userspace some lines before that, so they said in your definition the truth and a big fuchin lie in on paragraph... so yes its allowed to be pissed of them. And at least, if you think that people are forgiving enough to you that you release a pseudo-free driver, with a firmware which anybody did know and is evil... but at least less evil you would think... then they just take all functionality to the firmware and make a wrapper around it basicly when I understand it right. Its just a pure marketing shit... in that defintion, you could even say that nvidia made some opensource drivers, because they released sourcecode to compile the kernel-stuff for other kernels...

Broadcom it could not be true...
              That soc doesn't work like your x86 pc, deal with it, if Michael Larabel writes articles about things he doesn't know it isn't the foundation's fault.

Comment

That soc doesn't work like your x86 pc, deal with it, if Michael Larabel writes articles about things he doesn't know it isn't the foundation's fault.
                like I said they did claim that they released "fully opensource drivers". So you can twitch around like you want that what they did say... so they just lied... x86 or not x86 your ass thats not the question... so if you put in 90-99% of the functionality to the firmware you did lie, if you take it strong you even did lie if you do 1% in the firmware... but I am no fanatic so I would accept that at least till one other competitor goes the full way.

But to try to sell more stuff with making lies about your openess... is just immoral in the purest... if you want to make money because of your "openess" make it really open, or just say, you want/cant do it because you suck, and only people who want to be enslaved should buy your stuff... so ok so explizit no company would say that... but at least dont say the oposite when its a clear lie...

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
                  trolling the makers of a 30 euro computer for education

you should get 1. shame 2.life

many people either don't have a personal laptop or can't afford to test things with a personal laptop

what a 30 pound or euro soc allows them to do is do whatever they want without fear of bricking their expensive laptops
                  Don't you understand that they just lied? Their "driver" is just a wrap around firmware blob. There are two option: 1) it's not a driver, or 2) it's not fully open.

Comment

Did you even read the part that you quoted??? Fucking trolls that can't even troll properly....
                    Did you ever read that quote by yourself? Either you don't have eyes to read carefully and you didn't see that they claiming that they provided fully open driver, either you don't have a brain to understand their words and understand difference between their "opennes" and free/opensource software, or what?

Raspberry Pi and Broadcom are liars. That's true. I don't hate Raspberry Pi board, but I hate their marketing attempts. It's silly.

Comment

Ok geniuses, you're RIGHT!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X