No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta Linux Driver Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a fairly subtle change, if anyone else can confirm: if you have a graphically intensive program running on one virtual desktop, and switch to another virtual desktop, the graphics card actually goes in powersaving mode.

Comment

Originally posted by fritsch View Post
      Can someone verify, that Level51 1080p with 16 Reframes do not work with this newest driver?
      Yes, 16 re-frames doesn't work, include 480p and 720p.

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
        Here's a fairly subtle change, if anyone else can confirm: if you have a graphically intensive program running on one virtual desktop, and switch to another virtual desktop, the graphics card actually goes in powersaving mode.
        Bleh nevermind that, it doesn't apply to every program, I'll test further.

Comment

Hardware: A10-5800K and A10-5700.

To AMD. Dota2 produces stuttering in-game through Wine. The following has no effect on the stuttering:
          • wine versions
          • dota2beta/dota2test options
          • glsl enabled/disabled through wine registry
          • dota2 startup options like -nod3d9ex, -high, -steamhush
          • tripple buffering + vsync both enabled or disabled
          • disable/enable Catalyst A.I. through amdcccle
          • setting default 512MB ram graphics memory in bios to 2048MB
          • setting 2048MB video memory in Wine registry
          • starting dota2 with nice -20
          • starting dota2 with/without Tab Window Manger (TWM) only (no kde or gnome or other GUI)

These options lesson the stuttering only:
          • lowering ram timings in the bios
          • lowering resolution

I have tried 12.9 beta, 12.10 and now 12.11 beta drivers. There was graphics corruption in the menus of Dota2 with previous drivers but the recent 12.11 produces less corruption and now I only see a flash of it before it corrects itself. And if I am not mistaken there is less stuttering with the 12.11 beta drivers but it might be because of the lowered ram timings and lower resolution during my testing.

There is no stuttering with my old ATI HD 3850 using the same shared Dota2 directory.
          Last edited by charlie; 25 October 2012, 06:29 PM.

Comment

You get what you pay for. You compare an older performance card against onboard solutions. Did you really expect something else? Wine with d3d is really a massive overhead and runs much slower than win. Therefore you need basically overpowered cards to run it in average speed. When you play OpenGL games via wine the speed diff is not important usually - if the game does not use multiple threads as i think it runs single threaded only.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              You get what you pay for. You compare an older performance card against onboard solutions. Did you really expect something else? Wine with d3d is really a massive overhead and runs much slower than win. Therefore you need basically overpowered cards to run it in average speed. When you play OpenGL games via wine the speed diff is not important usually - if the game does not use multiple threads as i think it runs single threaded only.
              Non-sequitur - an inference or a conclusion that does not follow from the premises.

This the correct conclusion: the drivers need to be fixed. All other conclusions are off-topic to my previous post. Pay closer attention to the word stutter in my previous post. You should not conlude that stutter has anything to do with frame rate or in your words, "speed, performance or threads".

I mentioned my older card to indicate to AMD that the stuttering is a driver issue. For the A10-5800k definately performs faster (higher frame-rate) in all cases than the HD3850.

Wrap your head around this and think for a moment:

HD3850 = slower + no stuttering.
              A10-5800K = faster + stuttering.
              Both running Dota2 through wine = non-issue.

Conclusion driver needs fixing. And yes I am getting higher frame rates with the A10-5800K in Dota 2 at all resolutions and settings compared to the HD3850.

This is your life lesson: Proverbs 29:11 A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards.

Comment

You know that ATI HD 3850 is a dedicated dx10 card versus the AMD A8-3850 which has got a dx11 part called AMD HD 6550D. In your theory all is the same but sadly for you there IS a difference...

Comment

is anyone else getting massive screen corruption as soon as starting X then a crash? (you can still see some stuff but uhh very hard to use, and starting chrome to google about it crashed)

Comment

Meh This release as well as the 12.9 beta and 12.10 drivers have been crashing my desktop all the time. but they are the first ones not to have any graphical corruption issues either, and they run very smooth when not crashing just my luck.

I filled a bug report on ati.cchtml, I hope it resloves soon.

So far the 12.8 has been the most stable release I have used under Linux, anyone knows how patch 12.8 to work with newer kernels if at all?

Comment

You could download the Kernel Headers for your Distro.

Then grab the 12.8 Driver from ATI's Site and create a distro specific installer for your Kernel/Distro combination using their installer package.

Kind Regards,
                      KW

Comment

Working...
                      X