AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta Linux Driver Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no 3D?

ugh, I get the watermarks: the "testing only" and another symbol, meaning "no 3D"
    From Xorg.0.log :
    [ 27.446] (EE) fglrx(0): atiddxDriScreenInit failed. Probably kernel module missing or incompatible.
    [ 27.446] (WW) fglrx(0): ************************************************** *********
    [ 27.446] (WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed *
    [ 27.446] (WW) fglrx(0): * kernel module (fglrx.ko) may be missing or incompatible *
    [ 27.446] (WW) fglrx(0): * 2D and 3D acceleration disabled *
    [ 27.446] (WW) fglrx(0): ************************************************** *********

$ fglrxinfo
    X Error of failed request: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
    Major opcode of failed request: 155 (ATIFGLEXTENSION)
    Minor opcode of failed request: 66 ()
    Serial number of failed request: 13
    Current serial number in output stream: 13
    $ lspci | grep -i vga
    00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI BeaverCreek [Radeon HD 6520G]
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Whistler [AMD Radeon HD 6600M Series]
    (HD 6520g + HD 6750M)
    $ uname -a
    Linux hostname 3.5.0-18-generic #29-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 19 10:26:51 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    (Ubuntu quantal)
    Did I mess with something? Please, Help me :/

EDIT: ok, I don't know what happened:
    $ modinfo fglrx
    ERROR: modinfo: could not find module fglrx
    Apparently, the DEBs didn't generate the module? I'm confused...
    Last edited by asdfblah; 24 October 2012, 12:54 PM.

Comment

@asdfblah

I take it you've already installed the "linux-headers-generic" package before installing the driver?
      Make sure to have that (if you haven't). It's dump it was missing in the first place from default Ubuntu .. xD
      In fact make sure all the other dependencies are also installed, if you haven't that is.
      Another possible mistake is to forget to run "sudo amdconfig --initial -f" to generate a xorg.conf file.
      If it's not that, it might be the driver's fault .. :/
      If you get it running, you'll still likely have the watermark, but there's a workaround for that ..

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        That key is not needed anymore.
        I just check 9.01 with latest XBMC-XvBA. Still no [email protected] without this key. Test sample is "Pole to Pole".

Comment

Originally posted by Rigaldo View Post
          @asdfblah

I take it you've already installed the "linux-headers-generic" package before installing the driver?
          Make sure to have that (if you haven't). It's dump it was missing in the first place from default Ubuntu .. xD
          In fact make sure all the other dependencies are also installed, if you haven't that is.
          Another possible mistake is to forget to run "sudo amdconfig --initial -f" to generate a xorg.conf file.
          If it's not that, it might be the driver's fault .. :/
          If you get it running, you'll still likely have the watermark, but there's a workaround for that ..
          Ahh, yeah, thank you. there was a problem when installing the -headers package that I didn't see. also, apparently I still had the fglrx-updates package. It's fixed now. again, thanks!.

--

Does anyone know how to run both cards at the same time in a dual graphics setup (mine is HD 6520g + HD 6750M)?
          Say, I want app X to use OpenCL on one card, while running X server on the other card. Is it possible?
          Last edited by asdfblah; 24 October 2012, 01:23 PM.

Comment

@RussianNeuroMancer

Are you sure that you stopped X, rmmod fglrx, rm /etc/ati/amdpcsd before you tested it?

Comment

@Kano

You must mean "/etc/ati/amdpcsdb" for that last command. Just mentioning, cause it seems the other file doesn't exist ..
              (And one letter could make a difference here)

Btw, should this be done after uninstallation of Catalyst in every upgrade? I do always purge it though before installation when I manually install, so I thought such file would be removed .. I want to know for myself too if it can cause problems.

@asdfblah

Sorry, no idea from my part here .. But glad I was of help.
              About opencl .. I just know you can run "clinfo" to get an idea of whether it works.
              Dumb question, but the "g" in " HD 6520g" means it's integrated?
              I know the "m" ones are mobile ..(for laptops)

Comment

Right the "b" was missing. It is usually best when you remove /etc/ati after you uninstalled the driver. But in order to reset to the defaults it is enough to delete that file. Must be done while X stopped - you can not unload fglrx while X is still running or hanging.

Comment

Originally posted by Rigaldo View Post
                  [...]
                  @asdfblah

Sorry, no idea from my part here .. But glad I was of help.
                  About opencl .. I just know you can run "clinfo" to get an idea of whether it works.
                  Dumb question, but the "g" in " HD 6520g" means it's integrated?
                  I know the "m" ones are mobile ..(for laptops)
                  Yes, it comes within the A6-3400M cpu, http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AM...0A6-3400M.html

Comment

Wow, Skyrim now is playable even in medium graphics with the new beta!(didn't try any higher .. had lots of lag even in low with the one before)
                    RADEON HD 6470M here.
                    With fullscreen and max screen resolution that is(1366x768 for me ..).
                    Of course I turned off all of KDE's desktop effects etc(Ctrl+Alt+F12). And my pc became completely unresponsive the first two times I opened Skyrim and had to reboot manually -.- , but afterward nothing like that(whew ..).
                    Previous experiments were mostly under openbox, always latest wine 1.5.15, so apparently there is indeed improvement. AMD is starting to catch up.

Comment

Here, my cross post from xbmc forum:

- I made some short tests. Level51 seems to be enabled by default.
                      - But: Though I did not get the Killa Sample working without a lot of green an some purple - seems 16ReFrames are not supported, hehe :-)
                      - It works fine for other Level51 files
                      - But: It is a beta driver, so you need to save your old /etc/ati/signature
                      - The performance seems a bit better, I could play the dogsample (60p) with a lot less drops
                      - But: cpu usage jumps between 20 and 100 while decoding. This was better before.
                      - The Underscan works out of the box

For my part, i will keep what Ubuntu has :-)

Can someone verify, that Level51 1080p with 16 Reframes do not work with this newest driver?

Comment

Working...
                      X