No announcement yet.

EXT4 Data Corruption Bug Hits Stable Linux Kernels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

phoronix snowballing via tabloid-based sensationalistic posting... say it isn't true

Comment

Originally posted by ulenrich View Post
      It was a very,very special and unreasonable setup which triggerd the data loss for just two people.
      Sure. Not condemning him either. He's the reason udev stayed in such a good state for such a long time and that Linus actually _can_ focus on the rc kernels. Plus he's awesome.

And I don't give a sh*t, if there's a sporadically triggered corruption here or an exceptionally occuring kernel panic there.

That's the price you pay when dealing with such huge and crucial components and it's not something that in the end you really can avoid. It's the people like darkbasic, Lemonzest, frantaylor, etc. who don't understand or think about it.

Their heads explode immediately when seeing things like this and they have to assume it's something that occurs every single time they move their mouse for more than two pixels.

Comment

Great on 3.4.15 which got updated a few days ago -.-

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post
          phoronix snowballing via tabloid-based sensationalistic posting... say it isn't true
          If I'm reading the mailing list discussion correctly, it might actually be worse than Phoronix originally reported - the filesystem corruption with esoteric mount options was a symptom of a more subtle silent filesystem corruption bug that affects all users (and possibly older kernel versions than previously suspected).

Comment

Originally posted by Dewitt501 View Post
            Great on 3.4.15 which got updated a few days ago -.-
            And another one ("-.-.-..-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-"). The fix is already there despite the fact that you would never encounter this corruption anyway.

Comment

I demand restitutions

linuxes has corrupted all my pr0ns

Comment

heyy Michael, not embarrased enough?

I mean, come on. This 'bug' is as harmless as it can be. You have to do immensly stupid stuff to get hit by it. It is so common that 2 people out of millions of systems hit it.

and you not only posted a very 'dramatic' idiotic story - you are now advertising it.

Shouldn't you.. you know... prepare an apology or something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                  I mean, come on. This 'bug' is as harmless as it can be. You have to do immensly stupid stuff to get hit by it. It is so common that 2 people out of millions of systems hit it.

and you not only posted a very 'dramatic' idiotic story - you are now advertising it.

Shouldn't you.. you know... prepare an apology or something like that?

drama = hits = attention = things get fixed faster

Comment

A lot of people seem to confuse "panic" with "being careful."

Comment

Working...
                    X