AMD FX-8350 "Vishera" Linux Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    This is true, but it also shows that the new architecture is not the fail it originally seemed, and that once the growing pains are taken care of, they might have a competitive platform again.

I'm guessing that moving to a smaller process is really what they need now. How realistic this is, I don't know. Didn't Global Foundries lauch a 28nm fab this year?
    They've been playing catch-up to intel's fabs since forever (which is 5-7 years that I know of). The problem is intel is 10x their size and raking in profits on top. But hey, AMD is now fabless, so maybe they can convinca intel to build some chips for them

Comment

Yes, this all stands, but expecting AMD to overtake Intel is ridiculous at this time.

However, with the next year's Steamroller (using 28nm), they might regain performance parity with Intel, and this is really good, considering that they've been trailing for ages now. Of course they're behind in fab and profits, but if the company is to have a chance of recovering, it's important to come up with competitive products again.

Comment

AMD isn't bad deal in case of 2 hour of full load per day and discrete graphics card
        3770K - 318 Euro
        FX-8350 - 190 Euro
        1 kWh - 0.2 Euro
        According to XBitLabs
        3770K - 132 Watt at full load
        FX-8350 - 213 Watt at full load
        0.08 * 2 * 365 * 0.2 = 11.68 Euro per year more in case of AMD
        128/11.68 = 11 years - time of equal costs

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
          Yes, this all stands, but expecting AMD to overtake Intel is ridiculous at this time.

However, with the next year's Steamroller (using 28nm), they might regain performance parity with Intel, and this is really good, considering that they've been trailing for ages now. Of course they're behind in fab and profits, but if the company is to have a chance of recovering, it's important to come up with competitive products again.
          The problems is, best case scenario they'll regain performance parity with Ivy Bridge. Intel will be releasing Haswell anyway.
          It's hard to come up with competitive products when profit remains elusive. Not to mention the engineers AMD plans to lay off. Managers by themselves do not build much
          It's pretty clear AMD can't beat intel at its own game. What they need is another revolutionary idea like when they chose to up IPC rather than MHz or when they cleverly adding 64bit capability to 32bit CPUs. But these ideas are the stuff of legends...

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
            AMD isn't bad deal in case of 2 hour of full load per day and discrete graphics card
            3770K - 318 Euro
            FX-8350 - 190 Euro
            1 kWh - 0.2 Euro
            According to XBitLabs
            The problem is, you don't need 8 cores unless you're doing a lot of 3D rendering or movie encoding. And nobody does this too often at home. I'd settle for an upper-range quad core and even that will be overkill for browsing and many games. Single core performance is still pretty important.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
              3770K - 318 Euro
              FX-8350 - 190 Euro
              1 kWh - 0.2 Euro
              According to XBitLabs
              You approximate the parameter values, yet give exact result? For example, you won't find energy under 0.25 now and under 0.3 very soon (due to ecology tax).
              The 80 Watt difference is also different from my calculations of 113. Here 1/3 cut, there 1/3 cut and you magically get 50% off

Its very good they at least reduced idle to great degree.

By the way,.. we are missing one more important point - not every CPU cuts power exactly when it finishes the task. So, it could be that Intel or AMD cpu is actually consuming energy *much* above the "idle" for cirtain period of time, even if they have already finished the task. You need a consumption graph to analyse that...

If I recall correctly, there was a good review of power/task at hexxus some way ago, comparing now old intel corei660 and athlon II x4/phenom II x4.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                You approximate the parameter values, yet give exact result? For example, you won't find energy under 0.25 now and under 0.3 very soon (due to ecology tax).
                I checked price list of my energy supplier:
                minimal rate - 0.10637 Euro
                maximal rate - 0.21161 Euro
                It is possible that prices are higher in other countries.

Comment

Originally posted by necro-lover View Post
                  no its even more you can have unlocked cpu+virtualization+ECC non-reg ram.
                  These (parent and grandparent post) are some of the more significant posts I've read. Intel is capable of excellent technical work as they have proven many times, and are currently proving with the entire Banias - through - Ivy Bridge line. But they also have a strong marketing division that frequently seems to work at odds with directions that chip-head users present here might like. It is important to realize that from a corporate decision making point of view, it appears that at Intel, marketing trumps technical design.

Hence not that long ago we got the "Oooh, Fast!" NetBurst designs, and the "clone proof" IA64 designs. Because the Core-X line has been hammering AMD to the edge of existence, we're now seeing "revenue maximizing" stunts like disabling on-chip features unless you've paid extra. Kick AMD all you like, but if they're gone Intel has proven multiple times that, absent meaningful competition, they wander way off-target and we the customers lose. I don't know if ARM will provide proper competition for Intel in the future, at least partly because Microsoft has managed to lock down ARM-based hardware to be Windows-only, preventing it from growing into a true general-purpose platform.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    The problems is, best case scenario they'll regain performance parity with Ivy Bridge. Intel will be releasing Haswell anyway.
                    Well, they're approaching parity with Ivy Bridge right now, with current tech. Haswell is bound to bring great improvements, but Steamroller too.

It's hard to come up with competitive products when profit remains elusive. Not to mention the engineers AMD plans to lay off. Managers by themselves do not build much
                    It's pretty clear AMD can't beat intel at its own game. What they need is another revolutionary idea like when they chose to up IPC rather than MHz or when they cleverly adding 64bit capability to 32bit CPUs. But these ideas are the stuff of legends...
                    The whole Bulldozer architecture was an attempt to do things differently, actually. It looked like it was a big fail, but apparently after fixing the kinks from the first generation, it might be a promising architecture after all.

We'll see.

Comment

losers

I can't believe some of the dorks that haunt this forum with nothing better to do than trash the particular brand name that they don't worship. Is your life so meaningless and pathetic (you don't have to answer we know already) that this is your contribution to humanity? No wonder you're alone and your keyboard is sticky.

Comment

Working...
                      X