Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samsung Set To Open-Source Parts Of The Exynos

Phoronix: Samsung Set To Open-Source Parts Of The Exynos

It appears that Samsung is preparing to open-source some code pertaining to their Exynos ARM SoC...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Could this have to do with Cyanogenmod dropping support for new Exynos devices?

Comment

Predict

I predict the Samsung Exynos will becoming more popular and popular.
      I can see it becoming very popular.

TI quit their OMAP and Samsung is pushing Exynos strong.

Exynos stands against Qualcomm Snapdragon and Nvidia Tegra and NovaThor and some others.
      But Exynos seems very promising.

Comment

The whole android ecosystem would certainly gain from having some completely open sourced SoCs. Enthusiasts would be all over such tablets/phones, even if not for GNU/Linux, but at least knowing the updates cannot be denied.

Comment

Originally posted by thofke View Post
          Could this have to do with Cyanogenmod dropping support for new Exynos devices?
          http://bit1.us/2012/10/09/samsung-aw...ntation-issue/
          The cynamogemnod kiddies have nothing to do with anything. Samsung sure isn't going to alter their approach because the kiddies are having a temper tantrum. No, sorry, not a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
            The cynamogemnod kiddies have nothing to do with anything. Samsung sure isn't going to alter their approach because the kiddies are having a temper tantrum. No, sorry, not a big deal.
            Samsung employs Steve Kondik (aka Cyanogen) founder of CyanogenMod.

Comment

Originally posted by Figueiredo View Post
              The whole android ecosystem would certainly gain from having some completely open sourced SoCs. Enthusiasts would be all over such tablets/phones, even if not for GNU/Linux, but at least knowing the updates cannot be denied.
              The current best supported (although still not open source) graphics driver for ARM SoC's has got to be the Adreno series. Qualcomm is very good at getting new and updated drivers out for the adreno hardware. That includes drivers supporting the latest versions of Android for hardware that was never and will never get updates from the manufacturers. For example, Adreno 200 (Nexus 1, etc., none of which got updated past Android 2.3) -- the latest Adreno 2xx driver will happily run an Adreno 200 on Android 4.1.2, and as a result, this old hardware runs the latest version of Android with full function and full acceleration.

It is worth noting that Adreno shares common roots with Radeon, which makes sense since Qualcomm acquired it from AMD (formerly called "Imageon"). The name itself emphasizes this fact since Adreno is an anagram of Radeon, and, in fact, the Adreno 200 is nothing other than an AMD Radeon Z430. In fact, the freedreno project is using a lot of the Radeon documentation to push the freedreno driver forward. The big question I have, is why doesn't Qualcomm contribute to this, since AMD's already done the majority of the hard work in freeing up the IP..?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Samsung employs Steve Kondik (aka Cyanogen) founder of CyanogenMod.
                So? Are you suggesting that they threatened him? That's the only thing I can think of. He might have been exposed to Samsung secret IP and is therefore banned from giving anything out for free. In any case, it isn't relevant, there are other, BETTER hackers out there working on less broken and more pure Android.

Comment

As far as I know, anybody can fork or do a pull request to CM? I think their firmware is becoming quite the standard, which is good imo. The android world is way to surrounded in 'magic' and 'wizardry'.

Also, yes there's some excellent hackers out there, but to put some beef to your claim, a few links would have been nice.

Comment

Originally posted by oliver View Post
                    As far as I know, anybody can fork or do a pull request to CM? I think their firmware is becoming quite the standard, which is good imo. The android world is way to surrounded in 'magic' and 'wizardry'.

Also, yes there's some excellent hackers out there, but to put some beef to your claim, a few links would have been nice.
                    I link to myself. I build my own AOSP for my own hardware. I don't care for the CM crap, they take AOSP, bastardize it, break almost everything, and call it their own, all while taking for-absolutely-fucking-ever to actually do it.

Comment

Working...
                    X