8.01 Installation Script fails, help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8.01 Installation Script fails, help?

The ATI installation script fails with a "signal detected" issue. This is on the root partition (JFS), so it's not a remote/local partition problem I don't think. This happens in the terminal and from the recovery console.

Now I can't boot into Ubuntu without fglrx being already installed, because of the classic problem with xorg not being compatible with X1400 cards, and the ati default display driver crashing X on boot.

I can't get Envy to work at the recovery console, it errors out with "destination disk is full" type errors when writing to /tmp, as though it's read-only, which doesn't make sense since that's still on the root partition too.

It looks like I'm going to have to manually install the old repository fglrx and start from there.

Any ideas, folks?

Boot with "S" or "single" option, then edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and switch to vesa. Then you can use init 5.

Comment

I reinstalled the fglrx in the repositories, using apt-get. After reinitializing everything it boots properly.

Trying the 8.01 install script again...

Nope.

".......Extraction failed.
      Signal caught, cleaning up"

Any ideas? I'm doing this in a subdirectory in /home. The wiki indicates that this error only occurs on remote (nfs) partitions, which this obviously isn't. This is a JFS partition.
      Last edited by Porter; 20 January 2008, 12:17 PM.

Comment

OK, I am a huge idiot.

It helps if you have enough FREE SPACE on the drive to do the installation. :lol:

Nothing to see here! Move along!

Comment

Working...
        X