Reading The Linux Graphics Driver How-To Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by disi View Post
    Not sure how many books or maths assignments you wrote, but this is definitely the right way to go...

LaTeX-Lover <3

While i had to write quite a few math related stuff the cases where the open/libre office suite math editor was not enough was.... one as far as i can remember. LaTeX can die of aids as far as i am concerned.

LaTeX-Hater

its a personal thing.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
      While i had to write quite a few math related stuff the cases where the open/libre office suite math editor was not enough was.... one as far as i can remember. LaTeX can die of aids as far as i am concerned.

LaTeX-Hater

its a personal thing.

:P Never!!

Now write code listings in LO and then export them with simple "make", than compile them, run unit test, and report any problems with them. :P :P :P

Word PROCESSORS SUCK when you have LOTS of content and form is unimportant.

Or for that matter try to branch your work write additional chapter and then merge it with base that already changed :P :P :P

PS Can anyone give me quick how-to on how to submit patches?? (And WTH it is not on Github with its famous the Button "Request pull" ?)

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        LaTeX can die of aids as far as i am concerned.

LaTeX-Hater
        What's your opinion on lyx? And why are we having this discussion in a thread about the linux graphics driver book?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
          What's your opinion on lyx? And why are we having this discussion in a thread about the linux graphics driver book?
          I prefer WYSIWYM editors

p.s. Gummi does both...

Comment

Bad news, the pace is not very promising indeed.
            But who wants to blame them. People usually don't love to write documentation.

IMHO this book is a very important project that may help attract new developers.

Comment

User friendly, please

While I think that LaTeX is really useful in great structured documents (even more those written by a group of people) I think that uploading a render in .pdf besides the .lyx file would have been great for people like me that in this moment don't have a LaTeX compiler installed. And think of those reading from tablets or smartphone.
              Sometimes being user friendly takes really few seconds.

maybe in the preface page of the pdf, could have been inserted "This document has been edited in LaTeX, here's a couple of link on how it works [...]"
              That would do a favour to those not having it , and to those not KNOWING what it is. Don't assume the audience is all math/IT university students!

PS: I edited all my 105 pages PhD thesis in LaTeX , many years ago on a tetx editor, when LyX and wysiwyg TeX editors where still sci-fi topics So don't dub me biased.
              I think that documentation, I mean, human readable documentations and tutorials is the main barrier to the entrance of new developers in FOSS.
              Last edited by TeoLinuX; 23 October 2012, 11:19 AM.

Comment

You guys are crazy.

How come this thread is dominated by a LaTeX discussion now? (Well, Phoronix...)
                While I do love LaTeX, I'd take an RC of this GPU book even in MS Word format.
                Hell, it's all about the content.

I'm pretty sure there will be pdf exports available at some point.
                In the current state it's fairly irrelevant, unfortunately.
                Anf if you really want a pdf now, it's not that difficult to check out the git repository,
                install lyx and export it.

Comment

it's not that difficult to check out the git repository,
                  install lyx and export it.
                  This has changed? Installing anything that had to do with latex used to bring horrible nightmares, I hear.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    This has changed? Installing anything that had to do with latex used to bring horrible nightmares, I hear.
                    I never had any major issues with TeX Live (and earlier XeTeX) on Gentoo and Arch.

Comment

Working...
                    X