x200m xf86-video-ati svn version and exa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• x200m xf86-video-ati svn version and exa

i'decided yesterday to try out the new exa capabilities of the new xf86-video-ati driver and started compiling the various required packages from svn: mesa, libdrm, x11-drm and xf86-video-ati. after less than an hour i was able to test the new drivers.
    for the ones that would want to try it out be sure to do some things before trying it:
    the first thing that needs to bedone is to blacklist the fglrx module from starting at boot pulled in from udev by adding
    blacklist fglrx
    into the /etc/modules.conf and /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist files. after that switch the driver option in xorg.conf from fglrx to radeon and add drm as a module in the modules section of xorg.conf.
    now add this line in the device section:

Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"
    go to a console login, do a rmmod fglrx and then modprobe drm to see if it can load. if it loads restart xorg and you should be able to run well.

now, my experience with of more than one day of use:
    1. dri was forced on since it is not supported normally on this board
    2. aiglx + damage works
    3. rendering doesn't work yet
    4. no lockups
    5. 3 times faster than fglrx 7.12
    6. exa accel works as fast as xaa while exa doesn't work on fglrx 7.12
    7. xine works wery well with xv, and the same does mplayer even with hd-ready resolutions (1280x720). i haven't yet tested if xine + opengloverlay will work with opengl.
    8. i haven't tested any opengl stressing app since i don't have one neither games, but after i'll test compiz it will be the next step.
    9. dynamicclocks works better than 7.12 atipowerplay and the board is consuming less energy about 10% more battery time on radeon than on fglrx.
    10. the next steps to test will be:
    a) suspend/standby
    b) compiz
    c) opengl stressing apps like games and similar.

overall satifsaction: 8/10.
    fglrx 7.12 overall satisfaction: 7/10

so as compared to 7.12 the new xf86-video-ati is better than december fglrx. i haven't yet tested the 8.1 since i don't have yet the official ebuild in portage. i'll let you know how does it behave as soon as it gets into portage tree.

update:

a) suspend to ram doesn't seem to work right (2 tests and 2 wakeup failures), but suspend to disk works.
    c) opengl apps won't start or would hang the system.
    b) compiz won't surely run since opengl apps breaks so i won't do the test.
    Last edited by givemesugarr; 21 January 2008, 12:46 PM. Reason: update

interesting, i hope we will get a fully working driver for the damn xpress 200m series soon...

meanwhile, r u planning to update this thread when newer version emerges?

Comment

Originally posted by eagzor View Post
      interesting, i hope we will get a fully working driver for the damn xpress 200m series soon...

meanwhile, r u planning to update this thread when newer version emerges?
      after 8.01 not even starting, i wasn't able to have the libc.so.6 error go away, and the qualities of the oss radeon driver, among which fps increase, hw video decoding for divx 5 and some xvids, the exa/xaa accel vs xaa and dynamic clocks working quite well, i think that now the oss is quite mature for everyday use of this board. of course i still have the old 7.12 installed in case i'd want to use various apps like google earth or opengl apps, that simply fail to start or hang the system when using the radeon driver. so i think that i'll stick around with this driver for a while, at least until it gets regressions or major problems. for what i use this pc, mainly internet navigation, code developing and some multimedia, i think that the driver is enough. of course if you want other things that are more stressing, then you just have to stick with fglrx for now.
      today i've updated the driver after the rs690 support and in the next days i'll let you know if there were regressions or if something has improved.
      so if you want to see how the driver behaves make sure to get by after the thread gets updated.

Comment

just waiting for the aixgl working good. got so tired of the xpress 200m and its drivers so i ordered a new nvidia lappy. but i will check for updates.

Comment

The nice thing is that the 690 and xpress 200 share most of the same challenges for driver writers (mostly the lack of vertex processing in hardware) so most of any future work done for 690 in mesa will also benefit 200 and vice versa.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            The nice thing is that the 690 and xpress 200 share most of the same challenges for driver writers (mostly the lack of vertex processing in hardware) so most of any future work done for 690 in mesa will also benefit 200 and vice versa.
            well, i do hope that at least one of the 2 drivers would progress well for the igp cards. i'm planning on buying a new laptop in some months, and igp would be a choice for low consuming laptops, but i'm waiting to see what to chose: intel or amd/ati.
            i do look very interested in amd combo turion-ati, i'm a long term ati and amd consumer and i've been quite happy with them, but for the moment it seems as the driver is still a little challenging, both for oss and fglrx.
            since i don't need it for some months i can wait to see what's the best choice, but towards the end of the second quarter i'll make my mind either for one or the other. i hope that for that day the things would be clearer on the development side of both the sides, intel or nvidia isn't a green oasis as some would want to suggest, but for the moment they're still a little farer than is ati now.
            anyway, i'll try to share with you all my experiences on how the drivers would progress.

Comment

Has anybody tried this yet on a 690 board (x1250)? Is there xv support yet if you have? Got a HTPC rig crying for windows to be removed.

Comment

givemesugarr,

I'm curious as to which XPress 200M chip you have...I have a Presario v5303nr with a 5955. Using the foss drivers from git (1-26-08) in both Gentoo and Ubuntu Hardy, most everything works fine for me. One exception is Compiz which has some sort of texturing error; everything is wicked stretched, but the cube rotation works and the enhanced zoom works for a few seconds but then brings down X (it has been about the same for me since sometime last summer I would say...see http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11384
                In general, the performance isn't stellar but to me is generally acceptable. The S-Video out doesn't quite work; it enables the head and shows output, but it looks like it sets a bad mode for the TV or the standard is wrong. I haven't made any concrete comparisons between it and 8.01 but to sum up briefly I would say for me at the moment OSS is slowish but has few noticeable bugs but TV out doesn't work. FGLRX is faster but has a lot of little bugs but TV out works.

Cheers,
                Jesse

[Edit: The reference to the link above is a little vague, sorry...I meant to add it in there because at the time Compiz (as well as some others) didn't work at all, i.e., would crash immediately or display nothing. Since then they work as they do now.]
                Last edited by avsa242; 27 January 2008, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by avsa242 View Post
                  givemesugarr,

I'm curious as to which XPress 200M chip you have...I have a Presario v5303nr with a 5955. Using the foss drivers from git (1-26-08) in both Gentoo and Ubuntu Hardy, most everything works fine for me. One exception is Compiz which has some sort of texturing error; everything is wicked stretched, but the cube rotation works and the enhanced zoom works for a few seconds but then brings down X (it has been about the same for me since sometime last summer I would say...see http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11384
                  In general, the performance isn't stellar but to me is generally acceptable. The S-Video out doesn't quite work; it enables the head and shows output, but it looks like it sets a bad mode for the TV or the standard is wrong. I haven't made any concrete comparisons between it and 8.01 but to sum up briefly I would say for me at the moment OSS is slowish but has few noticeable bugs but TV out doesn't work. FGLRX is faster but has a lot of little bugs but TV out works.

Cheers,
                  Jesse

[Edit: The reference to the link above is a little vague, sorry...I meant to add it in there because at the time Compiz (as well as some others) didn't work at all, i.e., would crash immediately or display nothing. Since then they work as they do now.]
                  i've got the 5975 version. as i've said i cannot run any opengl app. maybe between 5955 and 5975 something changes and surely the manufactures isn't the same. my board is fujitsu while yours is hp and just the 2 brands may differ, since the only thing that is = should be the chip. all the other components of the videoboard might be different. this also happens for mobos. for example a p35 chipset on an asus might behave different than one on a tyan or one on a gigabyte.

Comment

Working...
                  X