Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linus Torvalds Still Rejects KVM Tool From Kernel

Phoronix: Linus Torvalds Still Rejects KVM Tool From Kernel

Linus Torvalds has reaffirmed that at this point he doesn't intend to pull KVMTool into the mainline Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there something special/controversial with this denied pull request into mainline or is Michael going to post every request which is denied?

Comment

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
      Is there something special/controversial with this denied pull request into mainline or is Michael going to post every request which is denied?
      Maybe just the ones hes interested in? Since this is his blog and all...

Edit: ooh... you're saying hes trying to make Linus look bad because of the nvidia thing? Sneaky...

Comment

I agree with linus on this. that project has no need to be apart of the kernel, just as much as X doesn't need to be. I'm not saying KVM tool is bad, it's just unnecessary to add.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          I agree with linus on this. that project has no need to be apart of the kernel, just as much as X doesn't need to be. I'm not saying KVM tool is bad, it's just unnecessary to add.
          Exactly this, as the KVMtool app is a pretty big chunk of code and Linus doesn't want to bloat his tree unnecessarily

Comment

And that's why I actually like Linus. He always have the balls the make slightly unpopular decisions and those almost always are correct.

Too there's no Linus gatekeeper on the distro side of things :P

Comment

If you do not like Linus decisions you are always free to fork.

Comment

that project has no need to be apart of the kerne

Comment

I thought that kvm tool was a userspace application. The only thing that would be suitable for integrating with the kernel would be the (small) kmod. Pulling userspace applications into the kernel is insane. Its like... why isn't apache part of the kernel... DUH, because its not GPL huh huh.

Comment

you're saying hes trying to make Linus look bad because of the nvidia thing

Comment

Working...
                    X